Fish questions for a 40 breeder

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. There is a couple fish I was wondering about putting in my 40 breeder and was curious how they would be in my tank. I currently have 2 clownfish in a 10g quarantine tank until I set up my 40. I was really interested in getting a Coral Beauty or a flame dwarf angelfish, but wasn't sure if they were good for my tank size. I also saw that most wrasses sat on the 50g minimum tank size, specifically I was interested in a 6 line wrasse. I saw a blue spotted puffer that caught my eye, but it also sits at a 50g minimum and was wondering if I would keep it in my tank. know most people say no tangs in a 40 breeder, but if i kept a yellow or blue hippo tang as a juvenile for about 2 years until I upgrade to a larger tank. In about 2 years I would be upgrading to at least a 75g or larger so I was wondering if some fish I could keep some juvenile fish that get large. Thank you!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is your first tank, I would not recommend getting the tangs. While you say you're going to upgrade to a larger tank in 2 years, at this point you don't really know what level of success you'll have with your first tank or what sort of challenges you'll face over that time (both in reefing and life in general). Heck, you may realize you don't actually like the reefing hobby. Lots of people get into this hobby guns blazing and then realize they don't like all the maintenance and work that comes with it. Plus a 75g is still not big enough for a hippo tang and stretching it for a yellow tang imo. Not to mention the aggression issues you may deal with in the 40g even with juvenile tangs. It's just not a good idea for a new hobbyist imo.

There are plenty of wrasses that will work in a 40 breeder. A yellow chorus wrasse or a six line would work. Fair warning though, some people have had issues with six line's being bullies.

A puffer fish would work but they are typically not reef safe and will potentially eat your corals and inverts, so I would not recommend that.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is your first tank, I would not recommend getting the tangs. While you say you're going to upgrade to a larger tank in 2 years, at this point you don't really know what level of success you'll have with your first tank or what sort of challenges you'll face over that time (both in reefing and life in general). Heck, you may realize you don't actually like the reefing hobby. Lots of people get into this hobby guns blazing and then realize they don't like all the maintenance and work that comes with it. Plus a 75g is still not big enough for a hippo tang and stretching it for a yellow tang imo. Not to mention the aggression issues you may deal with in the 40g even with juvenile tangs. It's just not a good idea for a new hobbyist imo.

There are plenty of wrasses that will work in a 40 breeder. A yellow chorus wrasse or a six line would work. Fair warning though, some people have had issues with six line's being bullies.

A puffer fish would work but they are typically not reef safe and will potentially eat your corals and inverts, so I would not recommend that.
Thank you! For the pufferfish, I don't think I would be adding corals in my tank for a very long time, so considering that would it be okay to get one?

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from experience and having to scramble. Do not get a fish with the plans to get that bigger better tank in the future. Things in life come up and sometimes that bigger tank has to go on hold. It is best to buy the fish when you have the tank in hand. just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from experience and having to scramble. Do not get a fish with the plans to get that bigger better tank in the future. Things in life come up and sometimes that bigger tank has to go on hold. It is best to buy the fish when you have the tank in hand. just my 2 cents.
I just got a 90g tank and I think I will be switching to that instead of my 40

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back