Fish Recommendations

jeoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank, have 3 green blue chromis and a watchman gobie. I tried to put in two clown fishes and they died. The chromis were put in the tank first and appear to have picked on the clowns. Took 8 days for the first one to die and the other one died the next day. The chromis are almost 2 inches. Thinking about removing the chromis, and adding two clowns and a couple cardinals, then waiting a few weeks and adding a royal gramma. The chromis appear to be running the tank. Will be looking to add light and corals once the tank is older, is two months old. Thsnks

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank, have 3 green blue chromis and a watchman gobie. I tried to put in two clown fishes and they died. The chromis were put in the tank first and appear to have picked on the clowns. Took 8 days for the first one to die and the other one died the next day. The chromis are almost 2 inches. Thinking about removing the chromis, and adding two clowns and a couple cardinals, then waiting a few weeks and adding a royal gramma. The chromis appear to be running the tank. Will be looking to add light and corals once the tank is older, is two months old. Thsnks
I wouldn't add or remove anything until you figure out why they are dying. It's not a normal thing.

OP
OP
J

jeoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retested my water, nitrates are about 80 ppm. Added prime will do water change. Adding refugium on Monday.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add or remove anything until you figure out why they are dying. It's not a normal thing.
i agree with this. clowns are one of the staple fish to a tank that is new, and are very hardy. unless they had illness issues to start, they shouldnt randomly die that easy. 80 nitrite is pretty high, but im still sceptical about it being the cause. it probably is, but i would also look to know what your ammonia and nitrite are like?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had nitrates over 200 and the fish were fine.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the size of the clowns? Totally possible that the chromis took them out as they can be territorial sometimes IME. One time I added some to my tank and they took a few shots at my niger trigger just for kicks (more like self-defense). More likely though there probably is a problem other than the one listed. How about a little more background on the clownfish? Where you got them, whether they were eating well, etc. Clowns are one of the hardiest fish out there so something is definitely amiss...

Nigel

OP
OP
J

jeoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with this. clowns are one of the staple fish to a tank that is new, and are very hardy. unless they had illness issues to start, they shouldnt randomly die that easy. 80 nitrite is pretty high, but im still sceptical about it being the cause. it probably is, but i would also look to know what your ammonia and nitrite are like

OP
OP
J

jeoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the size of the clowns? Totally possible that the chromis took them out as they can be territorial sometimes IME. One time I added some to my tank and they took a few shots at my niger trigger just for kicks (more like self-defense). More likely though there probably is a problem other than the one listed. How about a little more background on the clownfish? Where you got them, whether they were eating well, etc. Clowns are one of the hardiest fish out there so something is definitely amiss...

Nigel
Got them from a good private pet store. They were active and eating pellets and frozen. They were on the small size, about an inch plus. The 3 chromis are very active, but would allow the clowns to eat.

OP
OP
J

jeoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them from a good private pet store. They were active and eating pellets and frozen. They were on the small size, about an inch plus. The 3 chromis are very active, but would allow the clowns to eat.
Got a yellow watchman the same day and that is doing fine.

OP
OP
J

jeoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I figured it out now. Lost a chromis today, other two have rapid gill movement. Clownfish Disease, hopefully I can find Medication before it is two late.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back