Fish ripping algae off clip

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially I've been feeding my fish Nori alot more recently as I got a yellow tang the problem is I'll put in enough for the whole day and within a few hours they have taken the algae off the clip and I have a inch squared of algae floating around the tank, am I doing somthing wrong I'm folding the Nori, putting it in the clip and making sure it's secure but the fish seem to eat only next to the clip itself

Fish that eat Nori in my tank:
- yellow tang
- coral beauty
- melenarus wrasse
- bicolour blenny

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fold an entire sheet of nori so that it is really small, like 1"x1/2" and clip that. This makes it small enough that they can't rip huge chunks (or the whole thing) off the clip. I have 6 tangs and a fox face that eat off the clip. Everything else just eats the floaters that they leave behind.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the above... If you get desperate we can make one of these.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially I've been feeding my fish Nori alot more recently as I got a yellow tang the problem is I'll put in enough for the whole day and within a few hours they have taken the algae off the clip and I have a inch squared of algae floating around the tank, am I doing somthing wrong I'm folding the Nori, putting it in the clip and making sure it's secure but the fish seem to eat only next to the clip itself

Fish that eat Nori in my tank:
- yellow tang
- coral beauty
- melenarus wrasse
- bicolour blenny
What I do is fold the sheet two or three times, then take scissors and cut it into fine strips, without actually cutting pieces off if that makes sense. When the fish grab the algae sheet, only the cut piece comes off and not the entire sheet.

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fold all sides in by about a inch or 2, then fold again. Folding and which edge to leave down is the key, Try to leave fringe edge down, don’t be afraid to experiment.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to be any help for this. My clown trigger dictate what comes off the clips, rest of the fish wait for them to pass it out.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is fold the sheet two or three times, then take scissors and cut it into fine strips, without actually cutting pieces off if that makes sense. When the fish grab the algae sheet, only the cut piece comes off and not the entire sheet.
This makes me think of the flyers I see at the barber shop with someone’s contact info on them for you to rip one off and says “take one.” Haha

Really great idea!!! I’m gonna do this.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everyone suggesting cutting it into strips, wouldn’t that just mean I get more smaller algae sheets floating around not less larger ones?
It might, but my Purple Tang chases the huge pieces he rips off and sometimes they get lodged in rocks. I’d think with smaller strips this might not be the case since he’s be able to swallow the tiny strips rather than have them float around.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might, but my Purple Tang chases the huge pieces he rips off and sometimes they get lodged in rocks. I’d think with smaller strips this might not be the case since he’s be able to swallow the tiny strips rather than have them float around.
Might give it a go, I’ll update you all tommorow, thanks for the advice so far

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I roll mine as tight as possible, It helps

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everyone suggesting cutting it into strips, wouldn’t that just mean I get more smaller algae sheets floating around not less larger ones?

Depends how big your fish are and how much they eat at once. I have 4 pretty large tangs and one smaller one. My “strips” are only 1/2”-3/4” long. Mine rip them off and eat the strip very quickly. I’ll take a short video when my lights come on if interested.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this!

6B3ED00E-300B-4E05-8E8D-B95A582F4DEE.jpeg

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gourmet grazer by innovative marine works great

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought knitting mesh and small zip ties without the metal locks. I cut out 2 pieces that would hold a folded piece of nori, cut out a few square holes so they can get their mouths in to eat, and zip tied the pieces to make a pouch. I use my magfloat to hold it in place and it works great. I’ve never had any luck with nori staying together as they pull at it, but this works great and I’ve got less than $5 in it with tons of leftover materials. Just be sure to remove any jagged edges so they don’t scratch or cut themselves and risk an infection.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how big your fish are and how much they eat at once. I have 4 pretty large tangs and one smaller one. My “strips” are only 1/2”-3/4” long. Mine rip them off and eat the strip very quickly. I’ll take a short video when my lights come on if interested.

I have 5 tangs that eat nori like crazy. It never stays on the clip. They end up playing tug of war. I have a starry blenny that takes big pieces in the rocks. He tries to keep it all for himself. Lol @DaneGer21 I would like to see a video.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others stated, it depends on the size of the fish. Just cut the strips in the size needed for your fish to eat without ripping into chucks. Even so, normally the other fish will get any small pieces that get broken off. They are eaten like flake food almost as opposed to large chucks floating around.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back