Fish room hurdles... Building a well thought out Fish Room for the BRS360

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From dealing with humidity, drainage and equipment to saltwater mixing stations; Ryan shares the mistakes he's made with setting up a saltwater fish room and how he plans to overcome them for his Dream Tank!

Then, after the show we've got the one and only Greg Carroll @gcarroll with us to talk about some of his challenges for a dream tank setup and fish room! :)

Talking BRS360 LIVE!

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of tips:

1. For people who are renting, or don't want to put up a permanent surface on their walls, removable sticky tiles behind their tanks are good to help prevent damage to the walls. Or a piece of acrylic just screwed into the drywall. It can be wiped down and then just some wall putty for the screw holes.

2. PVC shower liner is awesome for beneath sumps. You can use some spare wood underneath of it to frame out your sump and create a lip, so that your sump sits inside a small frame lined with the PVC liner. This will keep small water spills from going all over the floor, protects your floors, and provides a great safety idea. Having your leak detection system in there means that by the time the leak is detected, you haven't spilled water all over your floor.

3. An unfinished fish room allows you to use the space between studs for shelving. Putting a 2x4 perpendicular to the studs then allows you to build a shelf between the studs. You can always KILZ the studs so that they're protected from the saltwater damage. You can use an outdoor all weather polyurethane finish as well on the studs, so that you make sure it doesn't suffer from water damage.

Love the BRS videos!

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product water from my RO system splits to fill two independent storage tanks each with a float valve so when one is full, the other continues to get water until both float valves are closed and the RO shuts off. I run my RO system once a week to top off both tanks.

Something I'd look to do is mount a horizontal storage tank about ceiling height near my fish room sink and have this top up weekly with the other tanks. I'd plumb this tank down to the sink with a ball valve. After I clean equipment or tools or to rinse test cuvettes, I would have RO water gravity fed, on tap into the sink. I'm not saying the pitcher of RO water near the sink is a huge hassle but I think anything to make maintenance and testing easier/smoother means it's going to get done more frequently.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back