fish scratching on sand

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would cause fish to feel itchy other than ich? i did copper with these fish, but i'm starting to think that there is a worm issue event though i treated all but one of them in pratzi (yes, i know...big mistake) but they are technically still in quarantine and not in their main display yet. if i dont detect ich, what could it be? i did feel like they have a big of a negative bacteria issue and that's why i changed their quarentine. i moved them into a very large 55 qt for higher water quality. they seemed to improve, fins repaired. i dont see evidence of gram negative bacteria issue anymore but could that be it? i see them swooping down on the sand a lot now and looking like they have an itch. pratzi is not reef safe, right. this qt has some of the rocks i'd like to eventually use in a reef. i can remove them and put them in a different qt.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be flukes. Process of elimination is best, starting with a FWD. If it is flukes, you will see sesame seed pieces fall of the fish and if not, you can start treating metroplex + kanaplex + focus in frozen food to eliminate internal worms and fungal/bacteria issues.

Just to clarify you don't see any external sign of disease or parasites?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes would be my first guess, a 5-minute freshwater dip would rule them out.

There are also prazi-resistant flukes out there, so even if they were ALL treated with prazi it would be a good idea to rule them out.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the species of fish that is flashing on the sand makes a difference. Sand-burying wrasses do it to kick-up critters in the sand to eat.

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be flukes. Process of elimination is best, starting with a FWD. If it is flukes, you will see sesame seed pieces fall of the fish and if not, you can start treating metroplex + kanaplex + focus in frozen food to eliminate internal worms and fungal/bacteria issues.

i never see flukes in fwd but i can do it again, thats the issue. i do see some slight gram negative signs but are we sure pratzi is reef safe 100% because i technically could pull these rocks, i just don't want to have to. this is a larger qt i plan to use as a tank later for other fish.

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the species of fish that is flashing on the sand makes a difference. Sand-burying wrasses do it to kick-up critters in the sand to eat.
this is yellow eyed kole tang, a blenny and a sailfin tang.

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, i'm trying to take some fish out of qt today that have had copper for 2 weeks. how do i transfer them to the new tank? i cant lower the copper so i probasbly have to do a fresh water dip then put them in the other tank water...? its ok as long as the salinity is lower or the same in the new tank right? those fish need a pratzi treatment too so i'd like to get it done together if i'm doing it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, i'm trying to take some fish out of qt today that have had copper for 2 weeks. how do i transfer them to the new tank? i cant lower the copper so i probasbly have to do a fresh water dip then put them in the other tank water...? its ok as long as the salinity is lower or the same in the new tank right? those fish need a pratzi treatment too so i'd like to get it done together if i'm doing it.

Are you transferring to a second QT? It’s generally recommended to observe med-free for a few weeks post-treatment. Just to make sure nothing slipped through.

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can. I just put my tangs that need pratzi in this tank. White on fins... I don’t know if it’s ich. I had them two weeks in about 2.0 copper power. Is this lymph?

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
382f8aa7c9c035770d46fa286fbcbae7.jpg

I know the Maroon clown needs help with gram negative bacteria. He was attacked by another fish. What’s the deal with the yellow tang?

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just noticed this on the sailfin. Where he poops looks distended. I’m not sure if it’s normal??
c8684c609eb316286984ae52feabfe4b.jpg
3896676507b58619bfd81773334d7d5f.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like ich or velvet to me on the fins of the yellow tang. It COULD be flukes. If you didn't do 4 weeks in Copper, OR 14 days then transfer to a completely sterile QT, it's almost certain that the parasites returned.

Freshwater dip would also be my suggestion, first. In a dark bucket. :)

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could post a video. The sailfin has the same sort of look on his fins. I thought maybe it was lymph. This is still a qt tank but it’s my nicer one I prefer not to medicate in. @fordfamily you agree that pratzi is totally reef safe??

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to clarify, i did 14 days then i transferred to the qt that was parasite and fluke free. but i think i likely have a fluke issue on my hands. does ich usally stay just on fins? i did notice that seemed to dissapear after a few days which is very ich like but i thought it was honestly lymph because its happened under periods of stress for the fish after being transfered out of copper.

OP
OP
mcpeachy

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is this safe to do in a reef??

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just noticed this on the sailfin. Where he poops looks distended. I’m not sure if it’s normal??
c8684c609eb316286984ae52feabfe4b.jpg
3896676507b58619bfd81773334d7d5f.jpg
This Tang appears to have Rectal Prolapse
Identified by a protruding anus, a rectal prolapse can be caused by constipation, straining or even unknown parasitic infection. These things will usually correct themselves and adding vitamins to the food and dosing kanaplex can help with keep it from getting infected while it’s out. Premium water quality should be a priority during and after this time as well. On larger fish who don’t appear to be getting better, it’s possible to correct the issue yourself and use a purse-string suture to keep the anus inside the body until it’s healed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back