Fish sick LTE not happy

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I’m having my first real “serious issue” with my reef. I started noticing my fish (coral beauty, yellow tang,6-line wrasse) spending most of their time in the reef where they usually swim all over. I also noticed my tang’s right eye cloudy. That was on Friday. Today Sunday, both my coral beauty eyes were swollen. I tested my water and everything was very good zero ammonia, zero nitrates, ph at 8.3, phosphate was a little high at.25. But the main issue was was my salinity was low at 1.020. I just upsized to a 75 gallon from a 45 3 weeks ago. I haven’t done a water change since. I’m guessing that adding all the fresh water without a water change could have done that. I’m wondering if low salinity could be the cause of the sickness of the fish. Also my LTA will not attach his foot anywhere. Again is that the low salinity causing the unhappiness. I’m hoping someone can advise. I did a 15 gallon change but the salinity only went to 1.021.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suspect the stress of a move allowed some sort of parasite to take hold. Especially if the fish are being reclusive.

The low salinity won't affect the fish. However it may be the problem you were having with your nem.

OP
OP
Keith Russell

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suspect the stress of a move allowed some sort of parasite to take hold. Especially if the fish are being reclusive.

The low salinity won't affect the fish. However it may be the problem you were having with your nem.
So how would you treat the popeye issue please

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Keith Russell

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out. I went to LFS and they tested my water and everything was perfect. So it wasn't the salinity at all. Then it came to me. I had a 45 gallon tall tank with the 165w lights about 12 inched off the water and running them about 90%. I then moved the reef to a 75 gallon standard tank with a shallow canopy. Lights 4 inches above the water. and didn't think to turn the lights down. Also the 75 gallon tank is much shallower than the 45 tall. I think I did damage with the lights. I have turned them down to like 60% and am running them for 8 hours instead of 12. Do you think the lights caused the fish to stress out so much. And burn up my hammer and damage my wonderful Toadstool leather?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back