Fish slowly dying

dboylesr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish slowly dying with no signs of ailments!! Parameters are fine all the way around!! I had a little ammonia that was corrected quickly though lfs said it wasn’t enough to panic about no big deal just correct the issue no harm no foul… my fish started dropping before ammonia was detected and continue to slowly die weeks after correcting.. no outward signs of any disease.. lost these in order 1.skunk cleaner shrimp 2.scooter Blennie 3&4 at same time overnight powder brown n scopas 5.Randal goby 6. Fox face rabbit … prior to these passing I found the sailfin breathing heavy on the bottom and moved him to another tank and he recovered … clown fish seemed ok through all this but today i became concerned as my snowflake seemed to be breathing heavy and the clowns were moved also..tank is 180 total volume including sump 3 years old maybe 3 1/2 .. mixed reef now some of those seem a little stressed.. I’ve performed water changes using ro water… the only other thing was my salinity checker was off quite a bit and I was at 1.030 I don’t know how long and a may have made the correction to quickly? Over approx 12 hours ?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear, but there are some questions that your timeline present... tank is 3 years old, how long had you had these fish before they started to pass? any new additions tied to the losses? what made ANY ammonia spike occur n a 3 year old tank, did something die unrecovered? any chance any environmental contamination occurred?

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
welcome to the reef , what media are you using rt now ?
short video of ailing fish,pics, the more info the better.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish slowly dying with no signs of ailments!! Parameters are fine all the way around!! I had a little ammonia that was corrected quickly though lfs said it wasn’t enough to panic about no big deal just correct the issue no harm no foul… my fish started dropping before ammonia was detected and continue to slowly die weeks after correcting.. no outward signs of any disease.. lost these in order 1.skunk cleaner shrimp 2.scooter Blennie 3&4 at same time overnight powder brown n scopas 5.Randal goby 6. Fox face rabbit … prior to these passing I found the sailfin breathing heavy on the bottom and moved him to another tank and he recovered … clown fish seemed ok through all this but today i became concerned as my snowflake seemed to be breathing heavy and the clowns were moved also..tank is 180 total volume including sump 3 years old maybe 3 1/2 .. mixed reef now some of those seem a little stressed.. I’ve performed water changes using ro water… the only other thing was my salinity checker was off quite a bit and I was at 1.030 I don’t know how long and a may have made the correction to quickly? Over approx 12 hours ?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The cleaner shrimp dying (not a fish) and the sailfin recovering when moved out of the tank all point to some chronic or intermittent water quality issue. The high salinity could have been an issue, but dropping it over 12 hours would have been fine for the fish.

I think the first thing you need to rule out is poor gas exchange (either low oxygen or high carbon dioxide, or both). Does the tank have a protein skimmer on it? If that is running 24/7, that will help with gas exchange. If you don't have one, or if you turn it off for more than an hour or so, you will need supplemental aeration (not just circulation) you need air bubbles breaking the surface of the tank,

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Salinity can play a role but you can safely and quickly lower it, so likely not an impact but extended period of high salinity may have had an impact.
You mentioned water parameters are good. . . .. What is your ammonia-nitrate-ph level?
Have you calibrated salinity tester?
What kits are you testing with ?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back