Fish stocking input needed.

Helms Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70G 36X20X24 I have 2 clowns now. I am keeping them in there for 3 weeks before adding fish. Below is a list of fish I would like in the order I am going to put them in.
1 anemone? (not sure which type to get yet)
1 Yellow watchman goby (I would like to get him but I might need to wait for my lid to come in)
1 randalls pistol shrimp (Hopefully to satay with the YWG)
1 yellow eye Kole
1 ??? (I would like one more fish that would work with the above, any suggestions)
CuC? (I am struggling with this as I am waiting on a lid. What would work with the above list?)
**This will probably be a Fish only tank FYI)

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC is pretty much compatible with any livestock, especially if you are doing fish only. I take it you will have sand, as you will need that for the pistol shrimp. For the nem, I dont think you can go wrong with RBTA. Further, I am partial, but if you are getting a lid, I would look into a midas blennie. Very active fish and (IMO) cool looking. I love watching mine move about the tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Helms Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC is pretty much compatible with any livestock, especially if you are doing fish only. I take it you will have sand, as you will need that for the pistol shrimp. For the nem, I dont think you can go wrong with RBTA. Further, I am partial, but if you are getting a lid, I would look into a midas blennie. Very active fish and (IMO) cool looking. I love watching mine move about the tank. Good luck!
Yes sand. About 2" of medium sized sand. I'll definitely look into a blennie. I'm worried about algae though. None has showed up yet and the tank has been cycled for a week. 0 ammonia/0 nitrites/5ppm nitrates. Are there any members of a Cuc that will eat algae off the glass but stay in the tank?

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold off on a nem until your tank matures a bit and your water parameters are stable and you can predict what they’ll be. What type of lights are you using? BTA seem like “beginner” anemones.

a CUC definitely helps. As long as there’s food for them to eat, the likelihood of them competing for food and killing each other, declines. Better to be proactive than reactive when your tank stars getting overwhelmed with algae

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! Most snails really won't climb out of your tank (one main exception is the Nerite). I would definitely get some Astraea, a turbo, some ceriths, nassarius (glass), and some blue and red leg crabs. And do not worry, the algae will come!

OP
OP
H

Helms Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I got a clean up crew and they are doing a great job so far... My final Stocking list is:
CuC=turbo/blue crabs/Nerite snails
X2 small clownfish (already in the tank)
X1 long nose hawkfish
X1 Tomini Tang
This is a FOWLR tank with an open design of rock work. Does anyone have any input on possible aggression or other concerns with this stock list? Am i missing anything or do I need to add to my list?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are fun. I also agree that you should wait at least 9 months on getting an anemone. They can be a pain.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Hawkfish will.

Back