TSM Aquatics

Chris Spaulding

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am setting up a 50 gallon LPS tank and I am looking for recommendations for utilitarian fish. ie algae/pest control.I would like to keep the list to a minimum 5 or so fish max. Tank will have sand. I have long Spine urchin in the tank now and has been there for a year +. This tank was being used as a frag tank. I really do not want to get rid if him because I have had him for 4 years.

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wouldn’t do any tank in that tank unless it was shortterm. You could do a blenny but they are a risk of nipping coral (I’ve witnessed it first hand).
Gobies should be alright, just do your research - I have 3 articles that may help with picking the correct goby.

I recommend going for a smaller, peaceful species of wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki potentially may fit however my two love using my 4’ tank). An example of a bad wrasse move is the Sixlines, these are aggressive and often become murderous.

Tidal Gardens
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wouldn’t do any tank in that tank unless it was shortterm. You could do a blenny but they are a risk of nipping coral (I’ve witnessed it first hand).
Gobies should be alright, just do your research - I have 3 articles that may help with picking the correct goby.

I recommend going for a smaller, peaceful species of wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki potentially may fit however my two love using my 4’ tank). An example of a bad wrasse move is the Sixlines, these are aggressive and often become murderous.
I am not really looking for a Tang as I know the tank is too small even though I have a much larger aquarium I could move one too but would be to stressful for that fish. Already have a tang gang there PBT , Purple , and Tomini.

Looking for a wrasse for pest control but really have had bad luck with six lines becoming terrors. Yellow Corrase ?
I have Hawaiian Cleaner and Melinaras in big tank.

Going to go read your articles

Thank You

i cant think

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am not really looking for a Tang as I know the tank is too small even though I have a much larger aquarium I could move one too but would be to stressful for that fish. Already have a tang gang there PBT , Purple , and Tomini.

Looking for a wrasse for pest control but really have had bad luck with six lines becoming terrors. Yellow Corrase ?
I have Hawaiian Cleaner and Melinaras in big tank.

Going to go read your articles

Thank You
For wrasses the smaller Halichoeres are great with hunting any “pests” down. For example;
Halichoeres iridis - Radiant Wrasse
Halichoeres timorensis - Timor Wrasse
Halichoeres chrysus - Yellow “Coris” Wrasse
Halichoeres leucoxanthus - Silver Belly Wrasse

TSM Aquatics

Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 110 44.7%
  • NO

Votes: 55 22.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 78 31.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand