Fish stocking plan

jjmuesch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one back in the hobby after a long time much has changed i am currently cycling my 210 gallon and am putting together my fish plan. the tank is 58" x 28" x 30" tank with 40 g sump, around 175 lb live rock with around a 1 " sand bed and 2 large marine pure bio bricks, reef octopus varios 200 sst skimmer. i plan on starting as a FOWLR for several months then starting to slowly add softies and lps. I have never had a tank this big but i have been doing a lot of research. Any feed back, advice or changes or additions to my plan would be much appreciated.
The plan so far:
2x clowns
2x red fire fish
lawnmower blenny
bangaii carninals (few?)
aptasia eating file fish
royal gramma
yellow watchman goby/shrimp
fox face
coral beauty dwarf angel (reef safe maybe?)
Flame angel (reef safe maybe?)
yellow corris wrasse
melanarius wrasse
yellow eye kole tang
yellow tang
purple tang
powder blue tang
3-5 lyretail anthias

additions maybe?
diamond goby
mandarin goby (later)
flame hawkfish
blue chromis
azure damsel

Any i should take out or any i have forgotten that would be good additions? also this feels like a pretty heavy bioload do you think it will be too much?

Thanks every one as always reef2reef is a great community

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like a heavy load to me, but I am no expert in this regard. You can always load heavy if you have heavy export though.

I just want to say that diamond gobys are one of my favorite fish. Always sifting sand, always moving shells around to "decorate". I wouldn't have a tank without one.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one back in the hobby after a long time much has changed i am currently cycling my 210 gallon and am putting together my fish plan. the tank is 58" x 28" x 30" tank with 40 g sump, around 175 lb live rock with around a 1 " sand bed and 2 large marine pure bio bricks, reef octopus varios 200 sst skimmer. i plan on starting as a FOWLR for several months then starting to slowly add softies and lps. I have never had a tank this big but i have been doing a lot of research. Any feed back, advice or changes or additions to my plan would be much appreciated.
The plan so far:
2x clowns
2x red fire fish
lawnmower blenny
bangaii carninals (few?)
aptasia eating file fish
royal gramma
yellow watchman goby/shrimp
fox face
coral beauty dwarf angel (reef safe maybe?)
Flame angel (reef safe maybe?)
yellow corris wrasse
melanarius wrasse
yellow eye kole tang
yellow tang
purple tang
powder blue tang
3-5 lyretail anthias

additions maybe?
diamond goby
mandarin goby (later)
flame hawkfish
blue chromis
azure damsel

Any i should take out or any i have forgotten that would be good additions? also this feels like a pretty heavy bioload do you think it will be too much?

Thanks every one as always reef2reef is a great community

Agree seems heavy load. Creative aquascaping lots of caves & tunnels (breakup rocks & mortar/pin back together in shapes likely one solution) leaving lots of swimming and yet also sleeping spaces... but if adding corals and when it grows in, you might need to plan additional tank(s)

Love those red firefish/dartfish, but the slightest startle and they'll jump so ensure tight fitting top to keep from Olympic carpet surfing tryouts.

Those two dwarf angels should be introduced at same time and each will want its own sleeping cave/area.

Those tangs should be introduced at same time (and likely fewer than listed) as each will want its own sleeping cave/tunnel

That future mandarin isn't suitable for your tank - it will starve with all those other good eaters planned. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thanks-paulb-mandarin-feeder.263752/

OP
OP
jjmuesch

jjmuesch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys all great advice I was leaning against the mandarin and will probably eliminate one of the tangs as well. This is my rock work so lots of room to hide and swim. I also have between a 1 and 1.5 inch sand bed and am putting a refugium down in the sump to help with nutrient export.
20210801_142815.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List looks good except for PBT.
Is problematic in even perfect mature systems, is demanding, quite territorial, may bully others and many times gets ick.
If it’s a must, the PBT and the Purple last as they will reset the pecking order.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above suggestions, prob slightly over so one less tang. wouldnt do the 2 fire fish because of the jumping and they will probably never be found in that tank.
Azures or springeri damsels are both great and just dart everywhere all day. Couple of other options to consider for livestock are genicanthus angels like watanabe or bellus, or maybe a triggerfish like bluethroat triggers. Just some cool reef safe guys you could do

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow head jawfish are awesome fish, but would require a deeper sand bed in at least part of the tank. They are probably the most entertaining fish to watch that I’ve found. I had a pair that I lost (maybe the pistol shrimp?) and I plan to get another. They’re absolutely hilarious.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aiptasia-eating" filefish sometimes enjoy LPS amuses bouches a little too much and forget to eat their main course altogether.

I'd skip that filefish and go with a whitespotted pygmy instead. They're amazing fish, even if they might be somewhat dwarfed by that tank of yours.

OP
OP
jjmuesch

jjmuesch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang thanks for all the advice guys I will probably get rid of one of the tangs then. Thanks for the compliments for the aquascape it was definitely a fun project. I will look into that filefish thanks. Dedragon are triggers reef safe I thought that they would be off limits I do love them. Right now the plan for lighting is a t5 led combo unit i am hoping to pick one up used

Back