Fish stores in the Long Island area

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the prices there? I was thinking going there this weekend to Advanced Marine to check them out.
The store I went to is actual Tropical Island Aquarium... their prices are reasonable. They have good prices if you buy multiple corals and fish. You can usually negotiate with them as well.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE Pets Warehouse in Carle Place..

4th time I gotten dry goods and it was used or missing. I am feeling like they're thinking I am the fraud for returning/exchanging all the time!

1st time- Aptaisia X. The syringe was clearly used (numbers were worn off and stopper kept popping out). No problems exchanging.
2nd time- bought a glass canopy for my QT. It was missing the handle part- they argued with me, I gave up and kept the glass without handle.
3rd time- Light bulb was broken. manager was suspicious but took it back.
4th time- today, bought Seachem Metro- it had clear tape on it so I thought it was factory sealed. Get it home, opened it, the jar was nearly empty. I am debating if it's worth it to go back to return it after all the above, it was the only one left on the shelf. there's enough to treat my fish, but I am not sure if it's the actual product.

this was all in 2 months too. it's insane.

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE Pets Warehouse in Carle Place..

4th time I gotten dry goods and it was used or missing. I am feeling like they're thinking I am the fraud for returning/exchanging all the time!

1st time- Aptaisia X. The syringe was clearly used (numbers were worn off and stopper kept popping out). No problems exchanging.
2nd time- bought a glass canopy for my QT. It was missing the handle part- they argued with me, I gave up and kept the glass without handle.
3rd time- Light bulb was broken. manager was suspicious but took it back.
4th time- today, bought Seachem Metro- it had clear tape on it so I thought it was factory sealed. Get it home, opened it, the jar was nearly empty. I am debating if it's worth it to go back to return it after all the above, it was the only one left on the shelf. there's enough to treat my fish, but I am not sure if it's the actual product.

this was all in 2 months too. it's insane.

Wow you either have worst luck in the world or that store has some questionable practices.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like something fishy. either one person is buying the stuff they need and returning them. but either way, the store needs to review returned products before putting them back on shelves.
I think the store employees may use the products as well. I try to check any box or bottle that isn't sealed to make sure it wasn't used. I go to Pets Warehouse near Copiage and I can only imagine that some products are used for the store and may be placed back on the shelf to be sold.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they shouldn't do that either! they should mark it out of stock or something.

I saw clear tape on the Metro which made me think it's OK. I need to get into the habit of opening things before buying (and I hate to do that out of respect to both employees and people who may be interested in products if I refuse)

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While looking for a pair of Ruby Red Dragonet, I did a fish store tour last night. First went to Aquarium Village. Saw a tiny ruby red in a tank along with a dead one. There are lot of coral in the store but I didn't pay too much attention to them since I was in a fish hunt, so to speak. Nice and bright environment, but the floor is all wet. Maybe they just washed the floor? Quite warm and humid in there.

Then I went to Pets Warehouse on Glen Clove just a few minutes away from Aquarium Village. It's a big store. Lot of fresh water fish. Also have lot of common salt water fish in relatively big tanks. But the selection seems quite limited. Looks like they cater to common people. :)

Next stop was Advanced Marine Aquatics but they were closed. Will hope to go there today.

Final stop was Pets Warehouse in Colleague. Good selection of fish and coral. Not as bright and clean as the one in Glen Clove, but I actually like it. Feels like a good fish market. You see the water pipe flowing. Giant skimmer working. All the good stuff. They have a tiny tank with 10-20+ various type of Dragonet in it. Wonder how they can keep them all well fed. I saw a few tiny ones always hiding in the back. Two tiny female ruby red were amoug them in the back. :( I don't think I want to buy any of them from that tank.

So today's tour will visit Advanced Marine Aquatics and Tropical Island Aquarium. Any other fish store I should pay a visit?

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these locations close (ish) to Manhattan? Theres only 1-2 stores in the city, one way up in the Bronx from what I heard, and I think one in Queens? Wondering if there are more options in a relevant distance. Something that would be easy to get to from Manhattan and not too long of a trip, like more than an hour max away.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Glen Clove/Garden City area is the most concentrated with fish stores. There are at least 3 of them within minutes in that area just in my post. You can also go to the Roosevelt Mall right in the area with the Misses while you are there.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great experience with Advanced Marine in Albertson. Really nice and knowledgeable people there and the store looks well taken care of. I was looking for a couple of fish to purchase a little while back and although they had them in stock, the owner Andrew told me to wait a couple of days before purchasing them to make sure they are doing well and ready since they had just gotten them in. In my opinion that's the best way of doing business hands down.
Have not been to aquarium village in a while but I like them as well. Usually have a lot of stuff in inventory and will take care of what you need.
been to PW in Carol place as well a few time but most of their fish usually seem malnourished and skinny most of the time and I have to control myself from the urge of trying to make a purchase in order to save it :(
Used to go to fish town years back but have not been there since. I remember having to wait a long time to get someone to help me.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped into advanced marine aquatics one day. I was working at a stop nearby for work and saw the sign. I couldn't resist and I'm glad I stopped in for 5 minutes. I was almost speechless. it really was a beautiful shop with tons of coral. I counted around 4-5 gem tangs swimming around. seemed to run copper on the fish system. the frag tanks were loaded and tons of Acro colonies. Im from upstate New York in the Putnam county area and the shops don't have stocked tanks like Advanced. He mentioned they may make it onto R2R which I think would be pretty sweet. its a bit of a drive but I plan to return for some things in the near future.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped into advanced marine aquatics one day. I was working at a stop nearby for work and saw the sign. I couldn't resist and I'm glad I stopped in for 5 minutes. I was almost speechless. it really was a beautiful shop with tons of coral. I counted around 4-5 gem tangs swimming around. seemed to run copper on the fish system. the frag tanks were loaded and tons of Acro colonies. Im from upstate New York in the Putnam county area and the shops don't have stocked tanks like Advanced. He mentioned they may make it onto R2R which I think would be pretty sweet. its a bit of a drive but I plan to return for some things in the near future.
I went there a few weeks ago and it is a very nice shop. I'm about 20min away on the island and they are very reasonable as well. Plenty of fish and corals. I got 3 acros from them at a good price. Just walking past the window and seeing those frag tanks in the middle makes you want to walk right in. The owners were cool too.

elishapep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in smithtown and I have been to every store around and agree with everyone’s assessment .. and honestly the only one that impressed me was the reef shoppe in the Bronx .. if you are into basic corals you can make your rounds to different stores and find things .. but if you are looking for upper end pieces or even pieces right above basic you will have a tough time .. IMO .. I was at A village last weekend and as far as live stock I was not impressed.. if you are looking for solid quality pieces .. R2R hands down has everything beat.. or a quality online vender . Just my 2c

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to @usernam invalid to pick up some coral. He has a grow out setup in his basement I have to say I was extremely impressed. He was such a nice guy and actually knows the guys from advanced marine Aquatics. He had a beautiful acro collection as well as plenty of other sps. I picked up a Monti, hammer, torch and birds nest all of which are thriving in my tank. Jay also offered to get me fish if I wanted. I will definitely be using him in the future once I get back from my honeymoon and I urge all of you to reach out to him I will link his website so you can take a look
http://tjmcorals.com

He’s located in West Islip btw

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of what he sold me
C9BC2C64-3211-4D66-B226-F964A2D5E24B.jpeg

188E3397-EA1D-4454-941E-3C0F4C432BBD.jpeg

4634F62D-9063-4AFB-9326-4BB3C9E0B642.jpeg

ABBC1417-5D1A-4C31-8449-0C184194E6EE.jpeg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak about 3 shops:

Aquarium Village used to be my top spot, but as someone posted they are pricey. I did get my mandarin from them, super healthy and was already eating prepared food, so the quality goes with the price

Fish Life is my most frequented place, as I live in Huntington. Limited inventory, but they will order anything you need and text/call you when it arrives. I have nothing but good things to say about the frags I bought from them. I have a couple of softies that are ready to frag and the sps are healthy and growing, For starters they have a very good selection of affordable frags. My only gripe is they are closed on Sundays which sucks when you do some tank maintenance and need rodi water in a pinch.

Tropical Island - well I grew up walking distance from them so I make trips to DP from time to time. On a recent visit I decided to drop in and was pleasantly surprised by their quality corals and salt water fish. I tend to swing by to pick up stuff when I'm in town and will definitely (well maybe not, read next) go there when I am ready to add new corals.

All that said, I have to second the review of #usernameinvalid By far the best selection of corals I have ever personally witnessed in my limited experience. I am looking at the candi canes and sps's I purchased from him that have done very well in my tank, a collection he picked out for me at a very reasonable price and not to mention the additional frag at no charge. Not to sound too gushy, but I will say I missed his for sale posts on another site and was actually elated to find his active thread in this forum the other day. When I'm confident the changes to my tank have settled down and ready to add corals, his thread will be the first place I look.

f691a1565839ccffaf681d025a958dd8.jpg

On a side note, I don't know what's going on with petco. They are walking distance from me, and where I go for quick supplies like reef crystals, carbon, gfo etc. They expanded their reef tank section, but for some reason, lately they have let the shelves with salt, water and other basic supplies run empty. Not a good idea if you want to keep the customers who are buying the live stock. Not sure how you can be out of salt and water for months at a time. add that getting help in that section is like winning the lottery.

Last edited:

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Life is my most frequented place, as I live in Huntington. Limited inventory, but they will order anything you need and text/call you when it arrives. I have nothing but good things to say about the frags I bought from them. I have a couple of softies that are ready to frag and the sps are healthy and growing, For starters they have a very good selection of affordable frags. My only gripe is they are closed on Sundays which sucks when you do some tank maintenance and need rodi water in a pinch.
How recently have you been there? I know this is probably an abnormality, but I was there about a month ago and one of they're frag tanks was badly over run with bubble algae and the other with pulsing xenia, both frag tanks looked horrible. I've picked up stuff from them in the past that is doing wonderful in my tank so I'm hoping this was just a onetime thing and not the decline of a good lfs.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Last time I noticed the frag tanks had lost a good deal of their bright colors. Hadn’t been run over by bubble algae yet. I am going there today for some quick back up rodi water.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Last time I noticed the frag tanks had lost a good deal of their bright colors. Hadn’t been run over by bubble algae yet. I am going there today for some quick back up rodi water.
Let me know if they got their frag tanks sorted out. I'd like to pay them a visit if they have.

Back