Fish stuck on powerhead and died

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose anything right now to prevent more death? I just lost another today- my blue eyed kole tang dead this am.
Do you have another tank to set up for medication? The gem may have brought in velvet and if so, all your fish need treatment ASAP. I’m local to you; I know that gateway aquatics and corner reef have a lot of used equipment if need be.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose anything right now to prevent more death? I just lost another today- my blue eyed kole tang dead this am.
Not really, depends whats in your tank already ie corals

Usually velvet you gotta move fast, catch all the fish - freshwater dip, quarantine etc. humble.fish has a few protocols on this.

I had to drain my tank to catch them all. I FW dipped + peroxide, and started hybrid TTM

OP
OP
katiestl

katiestl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. My fish store told me it was fine to add to my tank because I had the capacity and the right equipment. I’ve since learned this was totally incorrect. I trusted the info they were giving me instead of researching on my own. A traumatizing experience to say the least.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. My fish store told me it was fine to add to my tank because I had the capacity and the right equipment. I’ve since learned this was totally incorrect. I trusted the info they were giving me instead of researching on my own. A traumatizing experience to say the least.
Sorry for the losses. The beginning is bumpy for sure, so don't be too hard on yourself. I don't know your LFS, but I know mine not have allowed you to take home a fish like that to acclimate. At a minimum, he would have provided a lot of warning about the risks of a shipped fish -- especially if it were transshipped. Transshipped fish can spend DAYS in a bag. Once the bag is opened, the ammonia must be neutralized. The salinity can also be SUPER low relative to ours.

Next time, let them acclimate the fish in store and keep it for a week or more. You come in and watch it eat. Then take it home. If they are unwilling, I would be looking for another LFS, personally. Also, ask about their salinity compared to yours to understand how fast/slow you should drip the fish.

OP
OP
katiestl

katiestl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses. The beginning is bumpy for sure, so don't be too hard on yourself. I don't know your LFS, but I know mine not have allowed you to take home a fish like that to acclimate. At a minimum, he would have provided a lot of warning about the risks of a shipped fish -- especially if it were transshipped. Transshipped fish can spend DAYS in a bag. Once the bag is opened, the ammonia must be neutralized. The salinity can also be SUPER low relative to ours.

Next time, let them acclimate the fish in store and keep it for a week or more. You come in and watch it eat. Then take it home. If they are unwilling, I would be looking for another LFS, personally. Also, ask about their salinity compared to yours to understand how fast/slow you should drip the fish.
Thanks for your message. I was of course devastated, but, I’m slowly getting things back on track. I will have some anxiety for adding the next fish and definitely QT!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren’t in the same bags, no. But I did put them together when I dripped them to acclimate. And today now I’ve lost my blue eyed kole tang too. He wasn’t eating since this happened on Sunday. I tried some new food and nothing. He didn’t have any visible disease but I just don’t know. Now I’m worried I will lose everything. I still have in the tank:
Yellow tang
Blue hippo (small)
2 cardinals
2 clowns
Goby
Midas blenny
Cleaner shrimp
Emerald crab

any suggestions welcomed! I’m terrified!
Did you buy all these fish at or around the same time ?

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You wait a week that fish will be gone... where do y’all live where you can wait to grab a fish?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wait a week that fish will be gone... where do y’all live where you can wait to grab a fish?
Any reputable lfs that you have a relationship with should hold the fish for you, or at the very least let you put down a deposit on it while they get it eating and acclimate it to their tanks. Where do you live that your lfs won’t do that?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not believe manufacturer or LFS claims without doing your homework

Anytime you add anything to your tank (even quarantined livestock), your whole tank is at risk

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there is a big difference between "grabbing" and "ordering". My LFS turn over fish inventory very quickly. It is rare one stays in the store more than a week. However, any store around me I can order a fish, pay for it, wait for it to settle and then pick it up whenever. If it dies in their custody, I just have to wait for them to order again.

Now as a walk in stranger, they are not going to hold a fish for me, hoping I come back some day. That would be dumb business for them.

theocorals537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big powerhead can absolutely take out a fish ..... even if it isn't sick or stressed. I have had it happen a couple of times. Not a bad idea to turn down the pump when introducing a new fish that can easily be spooked straight into the pump; or even better, use a QT tank. I've built cages for my MP60s because I got tired of them taking out my naso tang.
Agreed, I’ve seen fish get butchered by mp40s , it prompted me to keep anemone cages on them. Not worth the heart break of hoping they don’t go in.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there is a big difference between "grabbing" and "ordering". My LFS turn over fish inventory very quickly. It is rare one stays in the store more than a week. However, any store around me I can order a fish, pay for it, wait for it to settle and then pick it up whenever. If it dies in their custody, I just have to wait for them to order again.

Now as a walk in stranger, they are not going to hold a fish for me, hoping I come back some day. That would be dumb business for them.
You’re lucky, it’s hit or miss for me with my LFS. Some weeks they don’t get much. Even with “ordering”.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re lucky, it’s hit or miss for me with my LFS. Some weeks they don’t get much. Even with “ordering”.
Yeah I should have qualified that statement. Until transpacific passenger air traffic picks back up, there is a huge shipping bottleneck that affects most wholesale operators.

Back