Fish Suggestions for Reefer 170 (34g) Reef Tank

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Reefer 170 and it should arrive in a week or so, so I'm trying to finalize my fish list. I plan to run a reef tank with a few reef safe fish.

So far I have a Royal Gramma and Snowflake in my QT waiting to be moved into the new tank.

I'd like to add four more fish, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to run the tank topless so jumping is an issue, plus it's only 34 gallons. I'd like colorful, active fish that are reef safe. I'm considering:

Engineer Goby - Love those guys.
Black Cap Basslet
Tail Spot Blenny
Hector's Goby
Court Jester Goby

Any thoughts?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish can jump, leaving the tank topless is signing a death warrant for the fish, with an unexpected date.

Many lids can be designed to sit flush with the tank top and not take away from the aesthetics or affect lighting in the tank.

By snowflake i assume the clownfish not the eel?

What you have listed sounds interesting, and should work well, however im not sure how well the grammas will get on in thag tank size. It may work out if there enough rock for them to set up their own territories. Im sure you know engineer gobies can become destructive with their burrowing as they get bigger, so just be careful with that, and they can get rather big.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Engineer Goby before and it got to about 7", but that was in my 75g. I do love them, very entertaining fish, but yea, they do borrow so I'm going to have to think on that.

And yes, it's a snowflake clown and it looks amazing, love that guy/girl.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll consider it, I really really like the aesthetic of an open top tank though, I'll try a cool mesh top but I'm not sure if it's going to stick.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back