Fish Suggestions?

brett042001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank and I was looking to get one "show fish" to be the center of the aquarium. Must be friendly and easy to care for. Any suggestions?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a covered tank? Seriously covered, no exits? This matters for many fish. Just wondering before making suggestions. Also, will you have corals or anemones? What kinds? Inverts?

OP
OP
B

brett042001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a covered tank? Seriously covered, no exits? This matters for many fish. Just wondering before making suggestions. Also, will you have corals or anemones? What kinds? Inverts?
The Tank is covered, no exits, and it is a fish only aquarium. There is 2 camel shrimp inside the tank.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to decide on a reef tank or fish only, based on that, then reef safe fish for corals, or semi-aggressive, to aggressive, groupers or most large mouth fish. You can always change, but think first, research that fish second, then compare what you like, be prepared to adjust your list, then visit your LPS. See what they can get you if you don't see it, but always ask, some fish look alike, but are very different, with different habits. Now, again you need to adjust your list. With a small tank, you need to be selective. I would try a pair of clowns, chromis(3), and 2-3 single fish. Start with the Chromis or another schooling fish. Remember to research the size when mature

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on how much you wanna spend but the black longnose tang is one of my favorites

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank and I was looking to get one "show fish" to be the center of the aquarium. Must be friendly and easy to care for. Any suggestions?

It might help if we have some examples of what you consider a "show fish", but in a tank that small options are definitely limited.

Thankfully, a solo Clownfish or even a small group can make an awesome centerpiece and would not mind the cramped quarters much.

Unlike in freshwater, there just aren't a ton of options in tank that small. But there are some options – let us know what kind of fish you already like and maybe that will suggest some other options, or tell us what you think of the Clownfish idea. :)

There is 2 camel shrimp inside the tank.
You need to decide on a reef tank or fish only

Those shrimp will eat corals, so this is a fish-only tank. At least it will be while they're around. ;)

it depends on how much you wanna spend but the black longnose tang is one of my favorites

That would have to be ruled out on two counts:
  1. It's a 20 Gallon tank
  2. Tangs are not on the easy to care for list

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help if we have some examples of what you consider a "show fish", but in a tank that small options are definitely limited.

Thankfully, a solo Clownfish or even a small group can make an awesome centerpiece and would not mind the cramped quarters much.

Unlike in freshwater, there just aren't a ton of options in tank that small. But there are some options – let us know what kind of fish you already like and maybe that will suggest some other options, or tell us what you think of the Clownfish idea. :)

Those shrimp will eat corals, so this is a fish-only tank. At least it will be while they're around. ;)

That would have to be ruled out on two counts:
  1. It's a 20 Gallon tank
  2. Tangs are not on the easy to care for list
haha I saw the 20 gal and thought it said 200 gal

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the black or white clowns can be very dramatic looking, as could, say, the brilliant stripes of a swissguard basslet. You might look into the quiet and gentle beauty of a possum wrasse. They're not always "front & center", but that can make it more exciting when they do put in an appearance. A tailspot blenny might delight, hopping about your rockwork, and there are also a number of gobies that would charm from the sandbed . . .

~Bruce

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pair of designer clowns! Easy, hardy, and show worthy. Clowns are cool too because they have a unique fanbase due to how many different types are popping up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back