Fish swimming vertically into filter output

Seasickboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

First time poster and I just had a quick question about my new clownfish. The tank is around 2 months old and I let it cycle for about a month with live rock also Marine Colony, the parameters are normal, just checked today and they seem to be fine. I have had the fish for about a week now. This fish has been swimming kind of vertically for a few days now. It was doing it on the other side of the aquarium as well but eventually moved the other side with the filter. The other clownfish in the tank seems to be doing really good and is not exhibiting the same behavior. This is my first tank and I might be over reacting but I was curious what others thought.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nIvQWfj8gU4

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there,

First time poster and I just had a quick question about my new clownfish. The tank is around 2 months old and I let it cycle for about a month with live rock also Marine Colony, the parameters are normal, just checked today and they seem to be fine. I have had the fish for about a week now. This fish has been swimming kind of vertically for a few days now. It was doing it on the other side of the aquarium as well but eventually moved the other side with the filter. The other clownfish in the tank seems to be doing really good and is not exhibiting the same behavior. This is my first tank and I might be over reacting but I was curious what others thought.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nIvQWfj8gU4
It looks like its resisting the amount of water current and also may be getting intimidated by the other clown which happens often. The fish is distant in the video and could use a closer view under white lighting .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One worrisome symptom is a fish swimming into a flow - which can signify lack of oxygen - I concur with @vetteguy53081 that more pictures would help - and close observation. I'm assuming you did not QT the fish? (EDIT - Suggesting some kind of Gill Injury/flukes/velvet/etc)

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Feef2Reef!

+1 on the clown may have issues with the other one, but it also may be breathing too fast (tough to see clearly).

Jay

OP
OP
Seasickboss

Seasickboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like its resisting the amount of water current and also may be getting intimidated by the other clown which happens often. The fish is distant in the video and could use a closer view under white lighting .
I took a closer video around the same time as the other one. The fish has since moved from that position but it seems to have some sort of white thing on the side of the its face. You can kind of see it in the video. I will take some more pictures and see if anything changes. It is currently hanging out with the other clownfish and no longer sitting at the bottom of the filter output.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Yn7puF0iPns

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I took a closer video around the same time as the other one. The fish has since moved from that position but it seems to have some sort of white thing on the side of the its face. You can kind of see it in the video. I will take some more pictures and see if anything changes. It is currently hanging out with the other clownfish and no longer sitting at the bottom of the filter output.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Yn7puF0iPns
Based on video , this clown is thin and showing signs of weakness and not sure if its swimming to the powerhead or getting drawn in.
As for loose skin, cant see it

OP
OP
Seasickboss

Seasickboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on video , this clown is thin and showing signs of weakness and not sure if its swimming to the powerhead or getting drawn in.
As for loose skin, cant see it
I unplugged the powerhead head before I took these videos just incase the fish was getting disturbed by it. These are pictures from the video and they show some sort of white sport near the fishes mouth. Not sure if you are able to make it out or not.

IMG_6323.jpg
IMG_6322.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I unplugged the powerhead head before I took these videos just incase the fish was getting disturbed by it. These are pictures from the video and they show some sort of white sport near the fishes mouth. Not sure if you are able to make it out or not.

IMG_6323.jpg
IMG_6322.jpg
yes this helps and looks like a result of an injury and can be the squabble result from another clown, scratch or nick.
At this point. . . IF eating and breathing normal, assure its healing and becoming infected and see if you have not already, if these two argue occasionally with use of mouths

OP
OP
Seasickboss

Seasickboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes this helps and looks like a result of an injury and can be the squabble result from another clown, scratch or nick.
At this point. . . IF eating and breathing normal, assure its healing and becoming infected and see if you have not already, if these two argue occasionally with use of mouths
I will continue to monitor the fish. It does not swim the same as the other fish which is a bit odd but I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for your help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back