fish that eat sponge

bruno21447

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told a swallow tail angel will eat sponge? I have a bunch of white and dark sponge takin over some of my tank.Plus I dont care for the look. I dont mind a small amount since I understand it is benificial. So, is it true these angels will help out? Or is there some other fish critter that will help?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a moorish idol will eat sponge sometimes I have been told. However, good luck keeping one alive.....

AquaticReeferMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruno pictures of the sponge that your talking about would be helpful to identify the type of sponge you have in your tank. So from there we can help you on which fish will eat your sponge.

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

<----- This lil guy loves sponges over anything else, but I wouldn't recommend him unless you have a big enough tank to sustain him.

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my angels eat sponges. They also eat algae, any soft corals, lps, zoanthids, aptasia, rodactus, clams, gorgonians, sps but no more than 1/4 inch at a time and probably anything else they could catch.

OP
OP
B

bruno21447

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cffced05.jpg

Tried gettin a good pic of darker sponge but not easy with iphone cam it to the left of the blurry clown tang lol
0df74603.jpg

325a71d3.jpg

I want a reef safe angel that is why i was thinking of a swallow tail angel or part of that same family.
My tank is a 225g

OP
OP
B

bruno21447

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol like I said I dont mind some but the dark stuff already took over and killed some coral and at my LFS they had the same looking sponge and it took over there mummy eye chalice.And if you look close the the pic with clown tang that is takin over half a piece of [h=3]Pocillopora Coral[/h]

JSemour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swallowtail Angels won't eat sponges, they are planktivores, which is why they are reef safe 99% of the time. The majority of the sponge eaters will also nip corals, clams, etc. If I was in your shoes, I'd go with a deepwater Centropyge angel, like a Golden or Multicolor. They are less likely to eat photosynthetic animals being deepwater, and being an angel, LOVE sponges.

BTW, the two sponges in question are actually the same species, commonly called Chicken Liver Sponge, Chondrilla sp. They get dark when exposed to light due to symbiotic algae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back