Fish that will accept Pellets

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i’m wondering if there are good saltwater fish that will eat marine pellets instead of live foods because i am having trouble feeding some of my new fish and i’m wondering if you guys have had any success with feeding marine pellets to certain fish

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Most marine fish you see in stores or online will eat pellet/var. dry food to the point that it is considered the default - if they DO NOT, it will be brought up to you. Frozen food is also an excellent choice, and also doesn't require the maintenance of a live culture.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen, then wean onto pellets. Most fish will take pellets once they realize it's food if you get a size that is adequate for the fish. Even picky fish like a mandarin can be trained onto pellets if you get the really tiny ones.

Soaking pellets in garlic (selcon) can also help.

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen, then wean onto pellets. Most fish will take pellets once they realize it's food if you get a size that is adequate for the fish. Even picky fish like a mandarin can be trained onto pellets if you get the really tiny ones.

Soaking pellets in garlic (selcon) can also help.
got it thank you

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi i’m wondering if there are good saltwater fish that will eat marine pellets instead of live foods because i am having trouble feeding some of my new fish and i’m wondering if you guys have had any success with feeding marine pellets to certain fish
There are some great suggestions from reefers on your thread. What type of fish do you currently have? Sometimes all you need is one fish to start accepting the pellets and the others will mimic :)

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some great suggestions from reefers on your thread. What type of fish do you currently have? Sometimes all you need is one fish to start accepting the pellets and the others will mimic :)
i have two clownfish who love pellets! i got a new PJ cardinal but he soon died and i’m not sure why and i just want a fish who will accept food easily

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have two clownfish who love pellets! i got a new PJ cardinal but he soon died and i’m not sure why and i just want a fish who will accept food easily
Look into captive bred as usually they have been fed pellets and other prepared food and it usually makes it easier to transition to the pellets or prepared food you are already feeding :)

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can be the type of pellets as well. My fish seem to prefer certain brands/types over others.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Life Spectrum makes a few with garlic added, and is available at most chain stores. If you go online you can start to find stuff like TDO chroma boost

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will my clownfish be okie with the change?
If they take to pellets they generally will eat different types in my experience. I mix a few different ones and feed them all at once.
-
But was just thinking to get started if you could manage to figure out one they like it might help :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they take to pellets they generally will eat different types in my experience. I mix a few different ones and feed them all at once.
-
But was just thinking to get started if you could manage to figure out one they like it might help :grinning-face-with-sweat:
ah okie :) i’m sorry i’m very new to saltwater and it’s good to know they’ll like different types of pellets :)

QuantumFoam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns love pellets, although the smaller of the two has a little bit of trouble due to the pellet size. I feed them mysis shrimp at least every other day (which they go crazy for), and occasionally substitute some flakes.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah okie :) i bought a new type of pellet that i will mix in with their current pellets
As a general rule, it's a good idea to feed several different foods, either a mixture at each feeding or just rotate... I feed flakes and pellets daily and frozen 3-4 times a week. I also feed nori (algae sheets) a few times a week.

danjobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what brand of pellets are you feeding your clownfish as im trying to get mine to eat pellets instead of just frozen mysis

Back