Fish That You Think Are Not Worth The Price Tag

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen a lot of expensive fish and notice some of the (Less Pretty) ones have a hefty price tag that I know I would never pay for.
So I was wondering what fish you think are way too overpriced based on looks and etc.

Mine is going to be Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse, I just do not see why people would pay $200 for them. (Sorry if offending but)

So name away and why!

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the gem tang is worth some vendors price but not most. The black tang gets me, it's so plain and I wouldn't pay what people charge for it.
Agreed with the black tang, you could actually just get a Black Nox Angelfish
or something else! :)
Oops this was meant for mattzang...

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but lets be honest is it because its a crazy price tag or because your wife wont let you have it LOL im jokin
I'm the master of our household, but she runs the reef tank! :)

A corollary:
The Gem tang, black tang, Koi tang, rare angels and butterflyfishes, those are all worth the price they command. My wife is beyond price and free to good home. No offers refused.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen a lot of expensive fish and notice some of the (Less Pretty) ones have a hefty price tag that I know I would never pay for.
So I was wondering what fish you think are way too overpriced based on looks and etc.

Mine is going to be Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse, I just do not see why people would pay $200 for them. (Sorry if offending but)

So name away and why!
Lol hate to tell you what I paid for a male. Rhomboid is my top 2 or 3 favorite wrasse.

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gem tangs don't do a lot for me
khoi scopas tangs really don't do anything for me
golden angels
longfin clowns
tiger angels

those fish are all varying degrees of pretty expensive and honestly.. i wouldn't buy them if they were $10
I agree with the Angelfish and the Tangs, I don’t really care for the long don but they are ok. Good replacements are male Japanese Swallowtails and the Rusty!

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the “Holy Grail” the Peppermint Angel how can you justify prices upwards of 30,000.00 US dollars for a fish!
the worst thing in the world is if you got that fish and it died on you thats my greatest fear paying a lot of money on a fish and it dies during acclimation or something

DzidtheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it prices on gem tangs are going to drop slowly, and purple tang prices are increasing.

But my vote has to be the peppermint angel. I would rather use that money for a down payment on a house, but because of how hard they are to catch i guess that's why the price is so high.

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it prices on gem tangs are going to drop slowly, and purple tang prices are increasing.

But my vote has to be the peppermint angel. I would rather use that money for a down payment on a house, but because of how hard they are to catch i guess that's why the price is so high.
Definitely decreasing cost for gems, I think NY Aquatics sold like 2 of them for 400?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gem tangs don't do a lot for me
khoi scopas tangs really don't do anything for me
golden angels
longfin clowns
tiger angels

those fish are all varying degrees of pretty expensive and honestly.. i wouldn't buy them if they were $10
I like long long fin clowns but I wouldn't pay what the current asking price is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Golden angel
Black tang
Gem Tang
Borbonius anthias

Back