Fish That You Think Are Not Worth The Price Tag

psychobilly07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen a lot of expensive fish and notice some of the (Less Pretty) ones have a hefty price tag that I know I would never pay for.
So I was wondering what fish you think are way too overpriced based on looks and etc.

Mine is going to be Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse, I just do not see why people would pay $200 for them. (Sorry if offending but)

So name away and why!
Always wanted a golden rhomboid as I think they are beautiful but I will never pay that price

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly since when was there 71 people!!! :)
Anyways I wouldn’t say that availability would matter in this thread as this is your opinion and not the sellers choice.

530Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner of a black tang I can say I also wouldn’t pay the current market price for one. However, I don’t think a lot of people know that black tangs aren’t always black. Yes, for most of the day they are jet black, but something pretty unique about them is that when they get excited for food or are being territorial they actually get a pretty impressive thick sky blue stripe down both sides of their backs. So they are also visually expressive with their coloring. Not sure how many other fish change colors within a about a second when excited. I can’t get him to display the full stripe, but here’s a slight stripe.
C00C2A7A-79AD-4356-A25A-8A14F9AB6524.jpeg
FAC27515-0414-490A-B0F7-FB2D2978731E.jpeg
Btw, the glass is dirty, he doesn’t have ich.

I buy fishes I like. Not because they’re rare or expensive. The black tang is swimming with $7 chromis and the royal gramma happens to be one of my favorites.

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner of a black tang I can say I also wouldn’t pay the current market price for one. However, I don’t think a lot of people know that black tangs aren’t always black. Yes, for most of the day they are jet black, but something pretty unique about them is that when they get excited for food or are being territorial they actually get a pretty impressive thick sky blue stripe down both sides of their backs. So they are also visually expressive with their coloring. Not sure how many other fish change colors within a about a second when excited. I can’t get him to display the full stripe, but here’s a slight stripe.
C00C2A7A-79AD-4356-A25A-8A14F9AB6524.jpeg
FAC27515-0414-490A-B0F7-FB2D2978731E.jpeg
Btw, the glass is dirty, he doesn’t have ich.

I buy fishes I like. Not because they’re rare or expensive. The black tang is swimming with $7 chromis and the royal gramma happens to be one of my favorites.
Wow! Beautiful fish right there. But fish that you like may be worth your money in your eyes! :)

530Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Beautiful fish right there. But fish that you like may be worth your money in your eyes! :)
Thanks! Agreed. To each their own. I just wanted to bring up something unique about the tang that I don’t think a lot of people realize. Doesn’t hurt my feelings if others think it’s not worth the money.

Pulsating Xenia happen to be one of my favorite corals, and they’re basically weeds to a lot of folks to be removed immediately. Everyone has their preference. We all like what we like.

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the worst thing in the world is if you got that fish and it died on you thats my greatest fear paying a lot of money on a fish and it dies during acclimation or something
My biggest fear too. I’m planning on getting a dwarf golden moray, and it’s between 300-500

Last edited:

Jpconer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is up w/ Achilles tangs?...they've been $399 on DiversDen for a long time which I already thought was high...saw them today on site for $599!....I've noticed a lot of their prices have jumped lately

U

User1

View Badges
I have one of those sub $400 Gem tangs from NYA and it’s doing well.

8FD64FFF-328A-4E5A-AE82-7CA778D6028C.jpeg

Gem tang prices have come down which I think is a good thing. Petco even had a similar price of 350 - 400 a few months back or so the thread here went.

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem tang prices have come down which I think is a good thing. Petco even had a similar price of 350 - 400 a few months back or so the thread here went.

I believe Petco bought LA so that makes sense. The exceptional koi tangs are worth the money to me. But some of them aren’t worth the bioload to me

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is up w/ Achilles tangs?...they've been $399 on DiversDen for a long time which I already thought was high...saw them today on site for $599!....I've noticed a lot of their prices have jumped lately
Agreed, the prices are way up with $600 Achilles Tangs and $300 Powder Blue Hybrid.

codys21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most "designer" clowns. I've already seen a few people say it on this thread but I'm not sure there's a clown better than a true Percula.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts in this post ,, when I have upgraded to larger tanks in the past ,, I gave fish away that I wasn't able to keep until the new tank was set up ,, those days are over ,, never, ever, going to give a fish away any longer ,, sorry friends :) kinda off topic ,, but ,, I would like to see more vendors sell QT fish ,, at least some of the higher end fish ,, has to be a market for them ,, its the reason Divers Den is in business ,, jmo

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back