Fish to keep my Tailspot Benny in line?

PodRespektor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, hope everyone is having a great & stress free day.

I have a 90 gallon with a 20 long sump/ refugium. 70 pounds of rock in the DT and 10 more of rubble and shells in the sump/ fuge.

tank has been up for almost 60 days now.

current stocking:

female DaVinci Clown
Male Phantom Clown
Tailspot Blenny
Social Wrasse
Royal Gramma (MIA for about 10 days now)
3 peppermint shrimp
6 hermits
5 snails
Tigger pods

this is my 3rd tank and I’ve had a Tailspot in all 3. Love these fish. This one is more aggressive than my past 2... he likes to attack my clowns for no reason. Doesn’t ever seem to do any damage... I’m surprised they don’t put a whoopin on him as I’m sure just one could do that job...

side note: he and the wrasse are best buds.

I’ll be getting (hopefully) 2-4 more fish this Friday when all the new stock comes in...

Im hoping more fish in itself will disperse some aggression but I also think it’s time he learns he’s not the boss of this tank...

So I’m wondering, another Tailspot, a midas Blenny, another couple Grammas to kill two birds with one stone so to speak? Get my other gramma to (hopefully) come out of hiding as well as having a few for him to focus some of his attention on? Another better idea?

thanks in advance!

PS. I want 3-4 wrasses total in this tank eventually and down the road a mated pair of Mandarins. Also some Gobies and more shrimp.

OP
OP
P

PodRespektor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There he is. Most likely planning his next attack!

Couple more details... I’m currently culturing tigger pods and will be purchasing apex and tisbe to culture also this week.

and I’m going to be upgrading the sump/ fuge to a 55 gallon sometime this month, will most likely make a thread on that too asking what the best method to avoid a mini cycle would be, if I can’t find that info readily available

anywho, last bumparoo

Attachments

• 0A895A79-54C1-4E55-A7F2-F0EF409758AF.jpeg
    0A895A79-54C1-4E55-A7F2-F0EF409758AF.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 49

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is harmless to anything in my tank, he dies stand his ground against the damsels, so that is a good thing.

OP
OP
P

PodRespektor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah see with this lil guy it’s not just standing his ground. He’s one of the more aggro TB’s I’ve now read about...

anytime either clown gets near him he swims at them BITING... my clowns are so sweet and gentle that they just start shimmying around like crazy but never respond. I wish they would, it would cut his aggression out quick I believe. Sometimes the other clown will swim over to the others aid but by then I’m at the tank putting my huge eyeballs (Manson lamps) on him and giving a quick tap. He knows what’s up and swims off immediately whereas my clowns, knowing they’re in the right, stay put.

OP
OP
P

PodRespektor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by get near him I mean anytime they’re within like 6” and he has claimed every bolt hole in the tank as his own.

it’s very aggravating to me as I’m a clown lover and I’m not gonna wait until they’re 2 to 3x his size to remedy. Already they’re bigger but they’re just so sweet.

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, hope everyone is having a great & stress free day.

I have a 90 gallon with a 20 long sump/ refugium. 70 pounds of rock in the DT and 10 more of rubble and shells in the sump/ fuge.

tank has been up for almost 60 days now.

current stocking:

female DaVinci Clown
Male Phantom Clown
Tailspot Blenny
Social Wrasse
Royal Gramma (MIA for about 10 days now)
3 peppermint shrimp
6 hermits
5 snails
Tigger pods

this is my 3rd tank and I’ve had a Tailspot in all 3. Love these fish. This one is more aggressive than my past 2... he likes to attack my clowns for no reason. Doesn’t ever seem to do any damage... I’m surprised they don’t put a whoopin on him as I’m sure just one could do that job...

side note: he and the wrasse are best buds.

I’ll be getting (hopefully) 2-4 more fish this Friday when all the new stock comes in...

Im hoping more fish in itself will disperse some aggression but I also think it’s time he learns he’s not the boss of this tank...

So I’m wondering, another Tailspot, a midas Blenny, another couple Grammas to kill two birds with one stone so to speak? Get my other gramma to (hopefully) come out of hiding as well as having a few for him to focus some of his attention on? Another better idea?

thanks in advance!

PS. I want 3-4 wrasses total in this tank eventually and down the road a mated pair of Mandarins. Also some Gobies and more shrimp.
orchid dottyback maybe to keep him in control of the caves? but idk how it would turn out especially if the orchid became aggressive and catching it in a 90 gallon would result in a total tank teardown.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown and damsel that were both very aggressive, I put them both in the sump, then felt bad and bought a bio cube to keep them in. That cube is now jail.

OP
OP
P

PodRespektor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orchid dottyback maybe to keep him in control of the caves? but idk how it would turn out especially if the orchid became aggressive and catching it in a 90 gallon would result in a total tank teardown.

haha this post made me lol

i like where your head is at but no way am I putting one of those lil purple devils in my tank! Never again with the “semi aggressive” fish after tearing down my 2nd tank to catch a six line...

i’ll stick with grammas for my purple fish needs

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back