Fish trap

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can people post pictures of their DIY fish traps? I've got a pinkface wrasse in my tank that's bullying everything, so he has to go back to the LFS. I've recently had to exile three fish to the frag tank because of him, and he's not cool enough to justify his attitude. I've heard of traps made out of anything from bottles & scrap acrylic, but I'm not really sure where to start. Thanks everyone!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you can cut a 2 liter bottle in half and invert it to make a trap that way, dont know if it works or not as I have never had to use a fish trap. Good luck!!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WrasseTrap.jpg

Here's a diagram of how I've made a trap before. Perfect for wrasses. Cheap too.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WrasseTrap.jpg

Here's a diagram of how I've made a trap before. Perfect for wrasses. Cheap too.

I'm a bit confused by the right picture with the little square that says cut/connected. Is that just to allow flow within the trap, or is thea different purpose to it?

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. If it doesn't stay together on its own, the edges can be melted together. Throw a nice krill in there and sink it, and you are in business!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is for flow and pressure, as well as to provide an exit door to remove the fish, once captured. Just cut 3 sides of a rectangle, the 4th side is the hinge.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. Now to get this bully outta the tank....

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one I made a while ago to catch a crab but worked well for fish. you can make it any size for different size fish. the rubberbands are holding the top on for easy removal

DSC01799.jpg

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one I made a while ago to catch a crab but worked well for fish. you can make it any size for different size fish. the rubberbands are holding the top on for easy removal

DSC01799.jpg

So the fish basically just swims through the wedge shaped opening and then can't figure out how to get back out? This seems like it would work well for bigger body shapes like tangs and angels, but I'm not too sure how well it would do on a streamline shaped fish like a wrasse.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of the fish, you can sometimes use just a 12oz water bottle as well. The bait is the key, here I trapped a diamond watchman goby using live sand, as he had decimated the sandbed in the tank. It took about 3 minutes to catch him.

MiscDiamondWatchmanGobyinFishTrap29.jpg

Even a streamlined fish like this one is easily trapped. I wouldn't leave the trap too long, as they may eventually figure their way out.

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultralife Fish Trap Mod

I've tried the DIY bottle trap, but I always trap everybody else first (dumb Sixline and Peppermints). I am forever emptying the trap of unintended victims.

I think the Ultralife trap, once modded, is the best trap I've seen or used. You only get who you want, and there is no way they can escape. Without the mod, the Ultralife trap is a point of sale.

Mod looks like this:
Fish Trap Mod.jpg

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I cant get my fish to swim into one of these things for anything!

I built one for a 4" hippo tang, and he hasnt been given anything to eat for a week and he still refuses to go into the bottle.

Also didnt work with the harlequin tusk that I need to remove before he kills anything else...luckily he hand feeds so today we are just going to try and net him!

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this would be interesting read :-

I had to take all my fish out from my 150G. I started with the bottle and kept modifying my "bottle trap" as I went. As the fish got smarter the trap got better.
I got all the fish except a red choris wrasse. This guy was a pain in the neck. It took me 2 extra weeks to get him out. He did not go near the bottle at all. I tried fish hooks. NO luck either.
Then I tried a real fish trap (with a door that slides). I only fed in the trap. The first day he did not go near. The next day I got him.

I will post a pick later of the bottle trap I made. However, the thing that worked for me for this wrasse was regular acrylic trap. I got all other fish using my bottle trap.

Go figure !

Sunny

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume the bottle traps would work fine but i bought one of the sliding door traps for 35.00 and it worked great to catch my sleeper goby. I'm actually going to use it again tonight to catch my yellow tang.

Back