Fish Weight Calculator / Medicated Fish Food Mix Calculator

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow threads on the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis forum, you know that whenever oral medication is the recommended treatment, @Jay Hemdal cautions that achieving the proper dosage is critical to success. He often refers to his article Proper Dosing of Medicated Foods. That article explains that the proper dose must be calculated based on the weight of the fish being treated and must be administered in a manner that ensures all of the medication is consumed.

Building from Jay’s article, I have developed two calculators which in tandem may aid in the preparation of properly medicated food as described in Jay's article.

The first calculator "FishWeightCalculator" is intended to help estimate the weight of the fish being treated. It utilizes a commonly accepted statistical model that correlates weight to length based on meaningful , species-specific sample sizes. When the species (or one of similar characteristics) of the fish and its length are entered, the calculator will apply the correct formula variables to estimate the weight.

The second calculator "MedicatedFishFoodMixCalculator", determines the amount of medication required based on the Formulary in Jays article and the weight of the fish which is either known or estimated by the fish weight calculator. Further, this calculator will estimate the amount of selected food and liquid necessary to combine with the medication to form a food paste which will result in the correct dosage when completely consumed by the fish.

These calculators were developed in Excel workbooks. No macros or links to external sources were used, so they are clean, stand-alone files which you may download. Each calculator includes instructions and comments for their use. I hope you will find them to be fairly intuitive. Each will print on 1 page landscape with no need to set any print ranges. I suggest you print a copy of the blank calculator before getting started to help you understand the layout.

I’ve included “beta” in the names because this is the first version to be made public. Jay has graciously looked over my shoulder as I developed the calculators to keep me on track and to avoid any unintentional deviation from the concepts he describes in his article and in his recommendations on R2R posts requesting help.

While Jay and I have reviewed the calculations, you must examine your results for reasonableness. If questions arise, I will do my best to answer them. You can PM me and I will try to help.

I sincerely thank Jay for the energy he has devoted to this effort and I hope you will find it useful.

David Scarborough
Threebuoys

Note: these calculators have been expanded and updated and moved here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-calculators.997311/

Jay

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back