Fish with a purpose in a 75 gallon fish tank!

Ezrunner23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump is about to finish cycling and I need help with the stock(fish with a purpose only) What I was think about so far.
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Rabbit fish
yellow watchman and shrimp pair.
Also some other fish but not sure.

Tank dimensions are 48 long, 16 wide and 18 tall.

5BBFDDA9-1E48-4A8C-9698-3ABB13766338.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want a dedicated sand sifter such as a diamond goby. The yellow watchman and shrimp will only work on areas around their burrow.

Wrasses such as melanurus, yellow Cori's, and sixlines are often considered utilitarian and will work on controlling the populations of things like bristleworms in the tank. Personally I would go with a melanurus since mine was amazing, just be aware you won't be able to keep anything like a Mandarin because the wrasses will dwindle the pod populations significantly.

Also, just be warned, some folks may say that your tank is too small for those tangs and the rabbit fish. You may want to consider a smaller Tang species such as tomini or any other bristletooth tangs. Lawnmower blennies and other combtooth blennies are also good options for algae control and they have amazing personalities for fish :)

OP
OP
Ezrunner23

Ezrunner23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to keep the yellow watchman and diamond goby without any issues?

I hate a tail spot blennie in my 10 gallon I’m going to transfer over once it’s finished cycling. Would I need more or that one good enough?

Mandarins are nice but I’ve Hurd stories of people not having luck with them so I’ll pass.

I looked at liveaquaria and there is only one rabbit fish for a 75 gallon so I was thinking of getting that one.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchmen and diamond sandsifters generally get along fairly well, as they're not competing for the same resources.

With a blenny, a tang and a rabbitfish, you've probably got algae covered in that tank - especially if you've got a cleanup crew as well. Some folks do keep a starry blenny and a tailspot together, but be aware that there could be some friction between the two.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Ezrunner23

Ezrunner23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay have a set list of what I want stocked in my tank
I already have a
Purple tang
Clown fish
Diamond goby
To finish stocking is a
One spot foxface
Midas blenny
Sixline wrasse.
Ohhhh can’t forget a flame angle fish!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back