Fish

linjen1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to a saltwater aquarium...it’s not ready for fish yet but when it is in a few weeks what fish are good for beginners? Thanks in advance!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, Damselfish and Clownfish are pretty hearty and can withstand the kind of chemistry fluctuations commonly going on in a beginner's first aquarium.

But before you can think fish, tell us about the setup... What size tank do you have? Do you have a sump for filtration of do you use hang on back? What about lighting?

Typically, you tailor your setup around the fish you want.

OP
OP
L

linjen1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with an external canister filter and a LED light bar with multiple lighting features on a timer

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with an external canister filter and a LED light bar with multiple lighting features on a timer

Okay... let's start with the tank size.

In my opinion, a 75 gallon tank is a good size for a first setup. Chemistry fluctuations in rookie reef tanks are not uncommon. But the larger the tank, the more subtle these changes are. So while you may have fluctuations in your water chemistry, you will have more time to identify and correct it before it becomes a problem.

My experience with canister filters are that they work well. However you must be committed to faithful cleaning as they can quickly become Nitrate (NO3) factories, which can lead to nuisance issues such as algae growth taking over your display. Also, faithful water changes will be critical in keeping your nutrient levels down as you haven't mentioned if you are using a protein skimmer. I would recommend a FAITHFUL weekly water change of 20%. In a 75 gallon tank, this is 15 gallon water change every week.

You haven't mentioned a brand where your lighting system is concerned, so I assume it is a generic system which tries to emulate features on high-end lighting systems. If this is true, it may look like a capable light, but it probably isn't capable of supporting anything more than fish in the tank, or what we commonly refer to as a FOWLR tank. This stands for Fish Only With Live Rock. I would NOT try placing coral frags or Anemones in a tank with generic lighting.

If you provide more info on the lighting, the information we can provide will be more accurate.

OP
OP
L

linjen1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an aqueon opti bright plus...I’m not doing reef yet just fish only at first...I wanna concentrate on not killing fish before I ever try reef

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an aqueon opti bright plus...I’m not doing reef yet just fish only at first...I wanna concentrate on not killing fish before I ever try reef

You are wise. Go slow and take small steps.

I've never done this before, but I am going to plug a small site I have. I'm far from an expert, but it has information that I would have found useful when I first got into the hobby. I'm sure you will find the information useful. Check it out: www.wikireef.org

Good luck!

BillyD69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be careful about which fish you add first. Clowns/damsels can be very territorial, and while hardy beginner fish, may cause problems down the line when you want to add different types. My Azure damsel is old, like would be graduating high school if he was human. He is the only saltwater fish I’ve ever had. I needed a fish that would be good in solitary confinement when I made my first nano reef (back in the days when anything smaller than an Olympic sized pool was frowned upon lol) He fit the bill. But anytime I add snails or hermits they all go through a period of being bullied, fanned, and transported elsewhere till he decides they are ok. Can’t imagine what he would do to another fish lol. And Azures are supposedly less aggressive then most! So definitely do your research.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not too late, I would suggest having a sump. Also a protein skimmer works really nicely in salt water. And I would dump the canister filter. Filter socks are good at particulate removal but they should be cleaned about twice per week. A 75 gallon is a good starter size.

For fish, live aquaria is a great resource. They classify fish as easy, moderate or difficult. They classify level of aggression. They classify reef safe vs dicey vs no. They also give suggested tank size. From that information, you can draw up lists.

Cardinals, dart fish, gobies can all be really nice fish. Easy to keep and peaceful. Many of the wrasses are good especially fairy and flasher wrasses.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank and once it is set up, it almost runs on autopilot but there was a cost to get there. I would recommend doing a sump, you can hide your heaters, skimmer and return pump so all you see is your fish. I have 20 gallon long tank as my sump and I have an HOB overflow but if you can drill your tank I would go that route. My HOB has never failed me but I have had a couple times the elbow pipes need cleaning. I did get a Varios 4 as my return pump and a Reef Octopus as my skimmer and if you can afford going getting good equipment from the start it will save you in the long run.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back