Fishboy's Excellent Adventure- 190ish Mixed Reef

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Thanks for stopping in and viewing my thread! I hope to post quite a few pictures and get valuable advice along the way. I've been in the hobby for a few years and while I've learned some things through trial and error, the reefing community has provided much of what I know.

We are in the process of building a new home! Along with that, a lot of new things are happening...including a new reef tank. When we sold our home last fall, I sold off my 80g shallow reef. It was a great tank but I knew I wanted to do something bigger. In our new home, we have a formal dining room right off the living room that simply won't get used as such, so I got permission from the wife to change it into another living space. Here is a few pics of the new home and where the tank will be.

This first shot is looking into the living room from where the tank will be located.
1584898928071.png

This second photo is of the kitchen.
1584899014275.png

And this last photo is where the tank will be located.
1584899058139.png

Now about the tank!

I ordered a tank from Planet Aquariums through a local store here in OKC. I have had several Planet Aquariums tanks and have been very pleased with the craftsmanship and quality.

Tank: 60"x30"x25", rimless top, low-iron glass front, 2 (3/4") returns

Equipment:
  • DIY Stand- I've built a few before and have a good feel for it. I'll for sure take my time with this one
  • Overflow- 32" Exotic Marine
  • Sump- Elite Aquatics Sump
  • Skimmer- Bubble King Double Cone 150
  • Doser: GHL 3 head doser
  • Flow: 2 MP 40s, mount on both sides of the tank. I might end up needing more flow but we'll start with this.
  • Return: ???
  • Lighting: T5/LED Hybrid- That's about all I know at this point. Would love to run 4 T5 bulbs with 3 Radion G4 Pros. We'll see.
  • Live Rock: I've got about 80lbs of TBS rock from my previous 80g that has remained in Brute trash can. I've added some Marco rock to it and will probably add quite a bit more.
  • Sand: CaribSea Special Grade

The plan is to do a mixed reef. Traditional SPS up high with lesser light demanding corals at the base of the rock work. The fish stocking plan is still in the works but I'd like 2-3 tangs, pair of clowns, and an assortment of wrasses. Perhaps through in a dwarf angel and a goby.

The tank should be in at the beginning of April and the house will be done at the beginning of May. I'll post up some pics of the tank when it comes in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fba885650971c9e42063a4dce37073a2.jpg

Ordered a sump from Tyler at Elite Aquatics! Picture attached is stock but will look very much like this. 36"x24"x16"

Pumped to finally make a selection on this!

OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the tank hopefully will be here this week an we close on the house May 6th!

Few more photos of the house.
IMG-3430.jpg

IMG-3429.jpg

OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like it is going to be at least another week before the tank arrives. :(

Reviewing some designs for plumbing and stand design.

OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about running a manifold independently of the return pump. The manifold would run a few reactors and possibly an UV down the road. Reason for doing so is that the change in pressure in the media reactors would have an effect on the return and consequently the overflow. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
81A0744C-3F20-44E6-B375-55FAD503F4DC.jpeg

Got the stand inside! Sump should be shipping next week! Need to take the tank of the stand and do a little work to the stand. I placed a sheet of plywood under the tank but it wasn’t quite long enough so I placed another piece to fill the the gap. Both are 3/4” but for some reason, there is 1/16th inch variance and the back right corner of the tank isn’t snuggly sitting on the stand. I’ll rip that plywood up and place down a single sheet.

More updates to come!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back