Fishing and aquatic life near you

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I live on the Massachusetts coast and see lots of aquatics life, for instance I catch striped bass schooling fish and lobsters. On rair occasion you see some very cool stuff like a hump back whale or a tuna. What do you fish for and see in the lakes rivers and oceans near you.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown trout as long as my arm....

I live on a trout stream. My wife and I sometimes put lawn chairs in it to cool off. The other day we were hanging in the stream and I was really hoping to show my wife a sculpin. Sure enough after a few minutes there was a 3" sculpin hanging around our feet. I was even able to feed it a caddis fly larva.

I noticed yesterday one of the "tide pools" in the stream had lots of baby frogs hanging around it. It has been super dry, they usually are all over my lawn.

Last year we had a very large beaver come cruising down the stream.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the place i live only has dink bass maybe pushing a pound or two max where i live, they stock trout in the fall and spring which is nice. However the desplain river has some big pike, panfishing is rlly good where i am

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on Long Island and have the water on both sides of me so I get to see a lot of aquatic life. I mostly fish in the Fall for Stripers and Bluefish. I have also seen a Humpback whale. A few years ago I was surf casting Tobey Beach near me and what must have been a young Humpback by it's size swam from west to east just 50 yards from the shore. Unfortunately a few days later they found it washed up dead on shore further east of where I saw it.
I'm seeing more seals now then I use to and recently there has been reports of Bull Sharks near the beaches so there was no swimming allowed.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live about 2-3 hours away from the coast of the South China Sea. Some locals who live by the sea keep and sell saltwater fish, corals and inverts and keeps them in NSW. I have considered buying from them but from books I’ve read, especially Bob Fenner’s, natural seawater has its risks in terms of carrying disease and since I cannot see the conditions of many of these people’s tanks, I have decided it would be much safer to stick to my local LFS or at most purchase online from retailers in the same city / Shenzhen which is 1.5-2 hours away by bus.

Guangdong’s not quite at the Coral Triangle yet but it’s not far either considering Vietnam’s not too far. I can get to Bangkok by plane in 2 hours and Manila in around the same time.

In the waters off the coast we have species like Schooling Blue / Green Chromis (Black Axils too I think), some Tangs (but I have never seen a Zebrasoma here, usually Naso / Acanthurus spp.), Longfin Bannerfish (H. Acuminatus), Yellowtail Demoiselles (N. Azysron)- haven’t seen the Chrysiptera variety, Sergeant Majors, Yellow Striped Cardinalfish, Pink Cardinalfish (Apogon Pacificus), Two Barred Soapfish, Stripeys (M. Strigaster), Lunare Wrasses etc. I haven’t seen them in person but I am sure we have Moorish Idols (not aquarium friendly for 99% of us lol), Koran Angelfish, different species of Rabbitfish (never seen a Foxface though). The most common large angel off our coast is the Koran, I think. If I ever have a very large tank I’d love to have a Koran or Maculosus.

The other day I found a dealer online who sells Pink Cardinals and Yellow Striped Cardinals but he lives some distance away and keeps all his fish in natural seawater plus one of his Yellow Striped Cardinals has a pop eye likely from injury in crowded tank conditions or dirty water. Therefore I had to make the more cautious decision and just stick with the PJs my LFS regularly gets.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live at the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado. With in an hour hour and a half we have a couple dozen Different lakes and rivers and almost all the North American freshwater species you could ask for except Gar. BTW I have a full service Tackle Shop.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown trout as long as my arm....

I live on a trout stream. My wife and I sometimes put lawn chairs in it to cool off. The other day we were hanging in the stream and I was really hoping to show my wife a sculpin. Sure enough after a few minutes there was a 3" sculpin hanging around our feet. I was even able to feed it a caddis fly larva.

I noticed yesterday one of the "tide pools" in the stream had lots of baby frogs hanging around it. It has been super dry, they usually are all over my lawn.

Last year we had a very large beaver come cruising down the stream.

do you fly fish

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on Long Island and have the water on both sides of me so I get to see a lot of aquatic life. I mostly fish in the Fall for Stripers and Bluefish. I have also seen a Humpback whale. A few years ago I was surf casting Tobey Beach near me and what must have been a young Humpback by it's size swam from west to east just 50 yards from the shore. Unfortunately a few days later they found it washed up dead on shore further east of where I saw it.
I'm seeing more seals now then I use to and recently there has been reports of Bull Sharks near the beaches so there was no swimming allowed.
Blue fish and big bass are so fun to catch

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live about 2-3 hours away from the coast of the South China Sea. Some locals who live by the sea keep and sell saltwater fish, corals and inverts and keeps them in NSW. I have considered buying from them but from books I’ve read, especially Bob Fenner’s, natural seawater has its risks in terms of carrying disease and since I cannot see the conditions of many of these people’s tanks, I have decided it would be much safer to stick to my local LFS or at most purchase online from retailers in the same city / Shenzhen which is 1.5-2 hours away by bus.

Guangdong’s not quite at the Coral Triangle yet but it’s not far either considering Vietnam’s not too far. I can get to Bangkok by plane in 2 hours and Manila in around the same time.

In the waters off the coast we have species like Schooling Blue / Green Chromis (Black Axils too I think), some Tangs (but I have never seen a Zebrasoma here, usually Naso / Acanthurus spp.), Longfin Bannerfish (H. Acuminatus), Yellowtail Demoiselles (N. Azysron)- haven’t seen the Chrysiptera variety, Sergeant Majors, Yellow Striped Cardinalfish, Pink Cardinalfish (Apogon Pacificus), Two Barred Soapfish, Stripeys (M. Strigaster), Lunare Wrasses etc. I haven’t seen them in person but I am sure we have Moorish Idols (not aquarium friendly for 99% of us lol), Koran Angelfish, different species of Rabbitfish (never seen a Foxface though). The most common large angel off our coast is the Koran, I think. If I ever have a very large tank I’d love to have a Koran or Maculosus.

The other day I found a dealer online who sells Pink Cardinals and Yellow Striped Cardinals but he lives some distance away and keeps all his fish in natural seawater plus one of his Yellow Striped Cardinals has a pop eye likely from injury in crowded tank conditions or dirty water. Therefore I had to make the more cautious decision and just stick with the PJs my LFS regularly gets.

wow that’s a lot of cool fish

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve swam with the manatees and fed them handfuls of algae. I swam close to the wild dolphins. I’d often see spiny lobsters darting into their caves as I swam past, occasionally plucking one for roasting over a campfire. The arrow crabs picking through sea lettuce, all anxiously scurrying around when they realized I was studying them. Beautiful schools of young sargeant major, huge schools of them. each individual no bigger than your pinky. Gorgonians swaying to the sound of crashing waves, like a Floridian hula. Small octopus hiding in the stalks of mangroves, blending in with barnacles, seemingly whispering great knowledge to themselves. The ocean sending it’s waves up onto docks and piers, sending rocks from the jetties flying in every direction. It’s waves crashed with a beautiful noise. The storm clouds piling high into the sky and flowing in from over the Gulf, cooling the sea’s waters with an affectionate whisper. The wild feather dusters bashfully pulling into their tubes and hiding on the pilons as I swam past. A few different fish species grunting in the Night, probably singing some sad song about rain. It’s especially wonderous to see the ocean and know my God created it, and to know his voice is like the sound of it’s many waters, and to know he’s mightier than it’s greatest waves, and it’s humbling to know everything that lives in it praises him all the day and Night. I don’t mean to appear basic when I say I love the Ocean, I just have a deep connection with it. And I know that sounds even more basic but it’s taught me so many things. I feel it’s every emotion, I feel it’s tremendous power, I’ve experienced the love of it and I’ve experienced the hatred of it. Everytime I see a picture of it, it’s like seeing an old lover on a 35 mm photograph, hair being ruffled by the wind, warm sunlit smiles and closed eyes.
I used to live very close to Longboat Key in Florida

Last edited:

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this 20" brown on a #12 march brown dry fly this past spring.

OC BROWN.jpg

I caught this 29" landlocked salmon last year on a clouser minnow.

New salmon2019.jpg
Beautiful. I've hooked into a couple of monster browns out here. That strip strike set is hard for me since I come from a spin fishing background. Those are just beautiful fish.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back