Fishless cycle, ammonia at zero nitrote not budging

meh180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling since the 1st April.
Used Dr Tim's bacteria to kick it off.

Ammonia dropped to zero a week ago, but nitrites have not budged at all since then. Using the red sea test kit and its been darker than the 1 on the colour chart for a full week.
Should I do anything? Just leave it and be patient?

20210420_144701.jpg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling since the 1st April.
Used Dr Tim's bacteria to kick it off.

Ammonia dropped to zero a week ago, but nitrites have not budged at all since then. Using the red sea test kit and its been darker than the 1 on the colour chart for a full week.
Should I do anything? Just leave it and be patient?

20210420_144701.jpg
So nitrite is actually non-toxic for marine fish (at least short term) unless it reaches high levels. Like, very high levels: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

So, presuming you are cycling through this method:
Aquarium Cycling v1.0.png

You have two choices. Either essentially ignore nitrite and just focus on ammonia, or if you want to be super duper sure that nitrite will nonetheless be oxidized fully once you introduce live stock, then yeah, wait it out.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank can handle the ammonia load, you should be good to go.

Hobby test kits are very inaccurate...so II would just read that as I have SOME nitrite in the tank.

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be you will be amazed how things work. I would say you are good to go as well!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in order to be fair :) some pretty influential folks agree with cycle stalling see this video:

then consider my thread above that says no reef tank cycle has ever stalled in the history of mankind. the conflict is good stuff. we are at 15 pages of other people's reef tank cycles tracked start to finish, for pattern inspection.

how are things likely to be going by page fifty? establishes predictability in marine tank cycling Id say.

I feel that any pattern inspection between our thread and that video will yield just shockingly opposite approaches to the exact same ends.

what this means is the rules for marine cycling are really just recommends, they're not rules. we've been breaking them everyday and still cranking out working reefs, on seneye sometimes. talk about ability to read a cycle, those meters show nh3 in the thousandths ppm.

Last edited:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in order to be fair :) some pretty influential folks agree with cycle stalling see this video:

then consider my thread above that says no reef tank cycle has ever stalled in the history of mankind. the conflict is good stuff. we are at 15 pages of other people's reef tank cycles tracked start to finish, for pattern inspection.

how are things likely to be going by page fifty? establishes predictability in marine tank cycling Id say.

I feel that any pattern inspection between our thread and that video will yield just shockingly opposite approaches to the exact same ends.

what this means is the rules for marine cycling are really just recommends, they're not rules. we've been breaking them everyday and still cranking out working reefs, on seneye sometimes. talk about ability to read a cycle, those meters show nh3 in the thousandths ppm.

Love my Seneye for QT and TTM tracking.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back