Fishless cycle completed question

Ritchie G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I finished cycling my tank with a fishless cycle on Tuesday. I have a couple fish coming on Saturday. Is there anything I need to do to keep the good bacteria from dying in the 4 days until the fish arrive? Should i add some pellet food or dose a small amount of ammonia or can the bacteria last the 4 days? Thanks Ritchie

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope you are all good. Just make sure to watch ammonia and nitrite with the fish in there since starting with 4 can be a lot if it is a smaller tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. I finished cycling my tank with a fishless cycle on Tuesday. I have a couple fish coming on Saturday. Is there anything I need to do to keep the good bacteria from dying in the 4 days until the fish arrive? Should i add some pellet food or dose a small amount of ammonia or can the bacteria last the 4 days? Thanks Ritchie
Once Ammonia and Nitrite read 0 and Nitrate is less than 10-20ppm, the cycle is complete and livestock can gradually be introduced. The bacteria population will increase with the new bioload(fish), processing waste and converting it to nitrate rapidly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back