Fishroom floor... what to do? Any Flooring experts?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to top the pex layer with tile backer board, then tile over it. Depends on how thick a layer of mortar you use.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @lapin, I think I've scrapped the cooling idea for now. My thinking being if radiant cooling were really that effective, I would be able to find SOMETHING on it and I have not seen a peep with regards to using your SLAB to cool anything online. :/ so either I am the first one to think of it (doubtful) or it isn't done for a reason (like poor thermal transmission or something).

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a viable idea, but the average reefer isn't about to tear up their floor to add radiant cooling. There's a lot of challenges to say the least. And may be reduced to a novel idea.

If I had the thought, I probably would've considered the idea....

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your tank gets too hot just run over to Morro Bay. As I recall that water is less than 80F

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your tank gets too hot just run over to Morro Bay. As I recall that water is less than 80F

That is where all of our cool air comes from! Its not too bad here most days, and with our big solar system, the AC is basically free to run, so I am not SUPER worried about heat.

One thing I am interested in, is that the tank (330g) will be in the dining room area, but all filtration in this little room. I wonder if that little room, even with an exhaust fan, will cause heat issues or not. What I am really hoping is that the tank with that massive volume will just see much less thermal cycling in general. Our nights are cold and days hot, and I am hoping that it will just even out with that much volume.

I just sanded the spackle in the fishroom, now I need to:
- Paint the walls
- Apply the waterproof membrane in thinset to the wall/floor junction all around
- Apply redgard over all of that
- lay tile
- grout tile
- finalize an equipment layout in there, and test wifi strength, I am a bit worried it wont get in there very well.
- Determine if I want to blow a hole through the external wall to run a skimmer air intake. Or if I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine.
You dont have much daytime humidity unless the fog sucks in and that's cold stuff and will cool your whole house .

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would redo the floor before using the room. We have engineered hardwood and I hate it. We are in a costal area so lots of rain/humidity/sand/water and the flooring is not made to withstand these conditions. It is just a thin piece of actual wood glued onto a backing. Anywhere there has been water on the floor, the planks of wood have popped off the backing and I have had to glue them back down. Some places the wood has curled up and will not go back down.
Someday it will be replaced with the vinyl flooring that looks like hardwood. I absolutely love it. I purchased an aquarium from someone who had this flooring. They had a water leak and it did not affect the flooring at all.
I installed luxury vinyl waterproof flooring 3 years ago in my family room that now houses 2 aquariums. I am very happy with this flooring. Water drops on floor,, no problem. water beads up and cleans up so easy..
Only thing I wished I would have picked a lighter color. Darker color can show footprints ...

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi, you can core a hole in a post tension slab. You would need gpr for the slab so you miss the tendons and rebar.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi, you can core a hole in a post tension slab. You would need gpr for the slab so you miss the tendons and rebar.
And I would put down vinyl as well. Get a color similar to the hardwood and call it a day

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point, I would just have to have someone come and xray the slab. If I had more room to easily house a sink, I'd probably do it, but with the amount of space I have installing a drain became a nice to have. Thanks!

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First did the kerdi product with thinset in corners.
Then a layer of thinset to smooth the floor.
Then two layers of redgard, now tile tomorrow.
16245C1A-7AAC-4B15-9748-6DCD1FBD51AD.jpeg

3440AB46-EC4B-4FB4-B57E-E4C94666F126.jpeg

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats probably it for this thread, other than a few pics of the floor finished when it is all grouted and sealed. I'll cover some of this ground in a build thread one of these days when I have more to show than a really water-tolerant room...

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your tile will all be flat and not have humps at grout joints.. I hate installing cabinets on tile, every cabinet leg has to be leveled differently and it drive me nuts! Haha.

I

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your tile will all be flat and not have humps at grout joints.. I hate installing cabinets on tile, every cabinet leg has to be leveled differently and it drive me nuts! Haha.

I
They are pretty level, the sump won't mind and the skimmer will get a stand too. The rest will be on shelves, I am still working out the final fishroom filtration layout. Hardest thing to accommodate is the frag tank.

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty level, the sump won't mind and the skimmer will get a stand too. The rest will be on shelves, I am still working out the final fishroom filtration layout. Hardest thing to accommodate is the frag tank.

good! The tile guys down here must suck haha. I just had to rant!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note, and it may have been mentioned earlier sealing the grout will likely have to be done more than what the regular resealment time is as any saltwater spills will degrade the sealant much quicker than normal wear and tear. Looking snazzy! I'm in debates on what to do with my fish room floor right now and this thread has been a good read :)

Back