** FishTankFace's 145.5 Waterbox Frag Build (Video Blog) **

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I’ve always wanted to do a build thread, and I finally have a reason to start one! Thanks to everyone who gave me a warm welcome on my introduction thread, you guys are awesome.

So this thread is dedicated to my 145.5g WaterBox Frag Series system, with goals of a mixed reef bursting with candy-colored coral. (A girl can dream, right?!) I chose the frag series because I’ve never liked how difficult it is to get my arms in an 18” - 24”+ tall tank. SO, at 16” tall, this new tank might just be my sweet spot!

Any advice, ideas, or friendly feedback is welcomed if you wanna stick around for the build!

Current Equipment (will update as I go):
Tank:

145.5g WaterBox Frag Series (100g display/40g sump)

Controllers:
Hydros 4 Controller
Inkbird Heater Controller

Lighting:
(3) AI Hydra 32 Lights
Fuge Light TBD

Pumps/Flow:
Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 Return
Random extra powerheads lying around (New Powerheads TBD)

Skimmer:
TBD

Other Misc:
Hydros ATO
(2) 250w Eheim Jager heaters
CaribSea Dry LifeRock
CaribSea Special Grade Live Sand

fish-tank-face-new-reef-tank.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Episode 5 Drinking GIF by The Bachelor

Cheers, girl!!
Can't wait to see more, standard/prime shots too!

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job so far. I am really digging the dimensions of that tank. It’s so nice not to get your sleeves of your T-shirt wet working on the tank.
Thanks! Yeah, it's 60" x 25" x 16". The best part is the stand is a little higher so it really doesn't feel all that shallow.

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw your you tube video before seeing this thread. My 145.5 comes this upcoming Tuesday pretty stoked. You going to be uploading another video soon?
I just uploaded a new video of me being silly and unboxing my rocks, and I'll have another video in a day or two of the actual aquascape. Here's the video:

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s where I landed with the scape. The back right corner I combined two pieces of the regular caribsea liferock and one of the caribsea “shapes” archways (and some ifto make an island cave with two smaller islands in front.

7844921E-345E-436E-9E40-A2EC8A0CE5A0.jpeg

For the left I struggled a bit because I just kept wanting to build a little bit higher. It became clear that I would only have about 2 inches of water above the top rock, so after about eight hours I landed on a nice low profile scape for the left. The most I could stack was two rocks high. I’ll post some better angles in the next update/video.

3CE1B354-76FB-4851-AF61-5FCC3B1144DC.jpeg

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s where I landed with the scape. The back right corner I combined two pieces of the regular caribsea liferock and one of the caribsea “shapes” archways (and some ifto make an island cave with two smaller islands in front.

For the left I struggled a bit because I just kept wanting to build a little bit higher. It became clear that I would only have about 2 inches of water above the top rock, so after about eight hours I landed on a nice low profile scape for the left. The most I could stack was two rocks high. I’ll post some better angles in the next update/video.

Nice! My 145 came in yesterday I got it assembled and stuff so now I’m figuring my scape. Was curious to see how you did it as this is my first low profile display

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My 145 came in yesterday I got it assembled and stuff so now I’m figuring my scape. Was curious to see how you did it as this is my first low profile display
I found that the shelf/foundation rock was my best friend in this scape! As I mentioned above, I really only went 2 rocks high, because any higher was too close to the surface. I guess it depends on the size of your rock tho. What are you doing for rock?

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the shelf/foundation rock was my best friend in this scape! As I mentioned above, I really only went 2 rocks high, because any higher was too close to the surface. I guess it depends on the size of your rock tho. What are you doing for rock?
I’ve got 40lbs shelf base rock from carrib, 25 lb assorted base from carrib then a few small arches and 40lbs of established Tampa bay saltwater aquacultured rock I’ve had for a while that I will be adding in as well

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same problem I ended up changing the whole thing after 4 months because I went to high. This looks great.

Back