** FishTankFace's 145.5 Waterbox Frag Build (Video Blog) **

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Curious… what would you place on the top part of that structure. Only 4-5” of water above it. I’m trying to plan out my corals! Something that encrusts?
not sure what your plan is, but plating acropora of any sort would be very happy to be close to the surface, and you won’t need to worry about them exposed in air during water changes as they naturally go through periods of dryness in low tide. You may also put Crocea or maxima clams there if you like

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone! I just posted another video update - also embedded below. More like a 'story time' update, but it's easier than typing! It's been too long since I posted here - a LOT has happened (and in some ways, very little...hah). But I attended my first coral show which was really amazing. :cool: I'll add some more details here tomorrow... Too tired to type more! I hope you like the video. :)

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selfishly hoping for an update on the tank!! Just curious - looks like you had the water up only partially and only part of the rock exposed for a period of time (a couple of days?). Does this not cause any bacterial die off on the rock or in the sand if it's in stale water (or no water for the exposed rock) and no filter/water movement? Just curious what the impacts of that are, if any!

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selfishly hoping for an update on the tank!! Just curious - looks like you had the water up only partially and only part of the rock exposed for a period of time (a couple of days?). Does this not cause any bacterial die off on the rock or in the sand if it's in stale water (or no water for the exposed rock) and no filter/water movement? Just curious what the impacts of that are, if any!
Hey! So it took me SEVERAL days to fill the tank initially, and like you noticed, the rock was partially exposed and the water stagnant for a couple days. But my rock started off dry (caribsea liferock), and if there was bacteria (like in the livesand) then I suppose it may have died off and just helped me kick off my cycle!. Once the tank was more than half full, I did place a power head in there, and I had a pretty standard cycle time 30ish days - give or take. (I didn't add any bottled ammonia, just ghost fed and bacteria in a bottle!).

Oh, and side note... I'm going to post more updates on my tank soon, I was out of the state for a few weeks (SOOO hard to leave my tanks), but I'm back and I made an aquariums tour video on my channel if you're interested! :upside-down-face:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back