Fishy DREAMS! What's the fish of your dreams?

Do you think you will ever own your dream fish?

• YES one way or another

Votes: 232 55.1%
  • YES only if I hit the lottery

Votes: 54 12.8%
  • NO

Votes: 63 15.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We all have those fish that we would love to have in our reef tank and for one reason or another we don't have one. Maybe it would eat all your coral or maybe the price tag is too high! Whatever the reason is this "fish" has become the fish of your dreams. Let's talk about it today and why you can't have one!

1. What is the fish of your dreams?

2. What are the reasons you can't have your dream fish?

image via @reddo-tan
5IuAkjc.jpg

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin Dragonet. I know it's common but I love them.

My 90 gallon has only been up for 6 months. I'd like to wait another 6 before getting one.
I’m with you on the Mandarins. My tank just hit a year and I have a very healthy pod population, but every time I think about ordering a mandarin I question if my tank is ready yet.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not really thinking of any fish of my dreams more about size. I am saving for dream tank by saving twenty dollars for every day I work. I already have the fish room and a big enough tank for the filtration I would need. I would need a bigger mixing station but that's not too hard. I want at least 400 gallons. I want a tank big enough that if there is a fish I want, baring anything too monstrous, I can get it without having to worry if my tank is the right size and I figure 400 gallons is big enough for most of the fish in this hobby.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love dwarf angels but I just can't roll the dice on it eating my favorite corals. Some day I hope to have a big enough tank that it won't matter if a little coral nipping happens.

Also more of a concept but I love big tanks with tons of small fish. My dream tank has hundreds of cheap damsels in it.

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard Wrasse. Love that fish and wanted one since I first got into the hobby 6 years ago but heard they were for experts. After 6 years I thought I'd try and bought two as a pair. I did lots of research and followed the best advice on QT, meds, sand, etc. One died in QT after about 10 days and the second appears to be on her way out. Sad and disappointing but I'll probably let myself try one more time. Others have success with them.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden Dwarf Moray for me. Just so dang cool.

But these days its well over $400 for one of them, and that's just too much for me right now. I'd have to be absolutely certain that:

A) The tank was healthy enough to survive the addition of a messy moray.

B) I could keep him alive for at least ten years

And right now neither of those are true, so for now, the fish of my dreams will have to live out its dreams in someone else's tank.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to many, a mandarin, they are just so freaking pretty.

I cant have one because A) my tank is too small B) I don't have a copepod culture.

Will probably end up with one in the next few years, and by then I am sure I will want like a blue whale or something, but we will see how that goes.

Back