Fishy DREAMS! What's the fish of your dreams?

Do you think you will ever own your dream fish?

• YES one way or another

Votes: 232 55.1%
  • YES only if I hit the lottery

Votes: 54 12.8%
  • NO

Votes: 63 15.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 orange spots in my mixed reef. There are much better food options available now. Mine have been devouring masstick since day 1. I also feed them Panta Rhei Sponge and Panta Rhei Polyp. They eat the frozen and pellets I feed everyone else too. They do some minor pecking at my few SPS frags, but don’t cause any harm.
There are a lot of options available in the US. Not here in Australia. Maybe there are but most of the Australian stores/lfs have horrible online presence.
I will do more research. You have motivated me

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always dreamed about a golden basslet and a bladefin basslet. But lets be real if I had 10k sitting around for 2 fish I would still find more to do with it in the tanks I have, like a couple scoly

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210115_095454.jpg

....but too High Maintenance

Parrotreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a tang guy by and large but if the sky is the limit I’d take a peppermint angel. That said, any that are collected should be put into breeding programs or display at public aquaria. That’s a rare bird that should probably never be caged... but if it is many people should enjoy it.

Options 1B and 1C are a Conspic and Bandit angel in that order. Bandits are sponge eaters and don’t touch coral due to the depths they live at, so that might be an option some day. conspicillatus on the other hand remain a holy grail for good reason.

As I mentioned I’m a tang guy, I have an Achilles, maculiceps, bariene and a few folweri tangs. I am looking to add an Achilles hybrid but it’s gonna have to check all the boxes given the price. At some point I’ll add a black, duss and gem but that’ll have to happen when I’m in my final tank.
Achilles Hybrid is one of the most beautiful fish out there. I saw one once, one of my favorites.

Parrotreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we speak about dream fish, i think of fish i am very unlikely to ever get my hands on. I like all the more high-end fairy wrasses such as rhombodialis, lineatus, bathyphilus etc. These are not super unrealistic dream fish. In terms of dream, dream fish i’d go with cirrhilabrus claire. Even if i had the money, it is super hard to find them.

here is a picture of a pair:

photo is from the internet ( Reefbuilders )

Attachments

• 107D7E62-5C11-461C-A5A0-D1091AEB9457.png
    107D7E62-5C11-461C-A5A0-D1091AEB9457.png
    753.3 KB · Views: 41

Parrotreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

I would never pay the price for these fish without winning a lottery, but they would be near the top of my list.
Really cool choices. Before I saw kingi in real life, I always thought it was an ugly, absurdly expensive fish. But when I saw it for the first time in real life, I was fascinated by its inconspicuous beauty and its character.

photo i took at a local reefers tank
59E6BFB6-C093-4C32-B105-D86F85EEE01F.jpeg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Achilles Hybrid is one of the most beautiful fish out there. I saw one once, one of my favorites.

It was one of my first couple saltwater fish. I started working at a local full service pet store in the mid-90's after school. Went along to the wholesalers on a teacher institute day saw a bunch and picked out a 2-1/2" baby for $50. I kept him in a 20H with a skilter (if you remember those) until I was able to set up my 55 gal. Had him for a good couple of years. Just a really unique fish. Tried another one 7 years ago and lost that one within a week. Been waiting for the right specimen and circumstances to get another one ever since.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
polyzona tang! and leopard shark

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the fish of your dreams?
Emperor Angelfish is so very common in the hobby, but has always been my favorite/dream fish. I had one years ago but moved and took down the tank. That tank had very few corals. I’ve since got back in the hobby with a smallish tank. Roughly about 4 years ago. The smallish tank is now being upgraded. I knew it wouldn’t last long before I’d be itching for something larger. And the reason for upgrading is for another Emperor. After reading about this particular fishes tendencies for nipping and down right eating certain types of coral, I’m not sure I’m willing to follow through with my plan. And I have read until I’m blue in the face about people’s experiences with this fish in a reef setting. That and watched about every video I could find on the subject. I’m an LPS and Softies kind of guy. So it’s either build the reef around the fish. Or skip the fish. I know good and well that some corals will likely be eaten like skittles. Other corals I plan on transferring would be a crap shoot. I just don’t know if could tolerate a fish ripping apart a coral that I’ve grown from a tiny frag. As strange as it’s sounds, I’ve become more and more attached to my corals. But on the other hand, I do love the Emperators. Every fish is individualistic, but you never know what you’re gonna get. That’s what momma always told me. Lol. I’d also love to have Japanese Pygmy Angelfish, but don’t have 4,000 to spend on a fish. Everyone knows what a Emperor looks like, but here’s a picture of the Centropyge Interuptus. Absolutely beautiful fish!
01C36DBA-6565-4ECE-8D02-A68B9A7D16E5.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back