It was this big... Now its this big...

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any recourse with the seller?
Not likely. Been in my tank over a week now. He has no guarantee. He is somewhat of a friend so I mentioned it in passing we will see if he does anything.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can see red spot then it’s hard to treat and have the fish survive. It tends to start internal and once red is seen it can be too late. I would treat asap. Fingers crossed. That is an evil disease that it feeds of anything and can survive in little moisture
I'm guessing at this point it's to late. Lost the male last night. Have 1 female left but she is in tainted water.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can see red spot then it’s hard to treat and have the fish survive. It tends to start internal and once red is seen it can be too late. I would treat asap. Fingers crossed. That is an evil disease that it feeds of anything and can survive in little moisture
In terms of the qt tank.. the 3 peices of live rock probably not able to be salvaged correct? Dry them out maybe vinegar bath or something. Any recommendations on cleaning the tank or the filters?

And for the surviving female anything suggested to treat with?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of the qt tank.. the 3 peices of live rock probably not able to be salvaged correct? Dry them out maybe vinegar bath or something. Any recommendations on cleaning the tank or the filters?

And for the surviving female anything suggested to treat with?
Rock is trash. Anything exposed has to be clean and sit with zero moisture for a few days. Vinegar or bleach can be used to clean but 100 percent dry is what guarantees clean of uronema. Treatment metro over the counter is one of the easiest. Think it’s dosed ever other day if I remember correct. They claim water changes between dose but I never do with meds as meds deteriorate with bacteria. I would keep oxygen levels high and keep little to no rock or anything for bacteria besides glass and pvc. That said with little bacteria you may want to do water changes to keep ammonia good. You got my number still? Always can call if needed

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is trash. Anything exposed has to be clean and sit with zero moisture for a few days. Vinegar or bleach can be used to clean but 100 percent dry is what guarantees clean of uronema. Treatment metro over the counter is one of the easiest. Think it’s dosed ever other day if I remember correct. They claim water changes between dose but I never do with meds as meds deteriorate with bacteria. I would keep oxygen levels high and keep little to no rock or anything for bacteria besides glass and pvc. That said with little bacteria you may want to do water changes to keep ammonia good. You got my number still? Always can call if needed
The remaining female shows no signs... is it possible she is not infected?
if its possible, i may set up a new sterile QT for her, then clean the current one out and get it dried... im going to vinegar the rocks, then soak in RO for a week, then let them dry out completely in the sun for a couple weeks. i hate letting go of rock.
ill clean and soak the filters (over the back type) and clean out the tank. i did really good about not allowing anything that touched the QT get anywhere near my DT so im certain ive kept it out of there.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The remaining female shows no signs... is it possible she is not infected?
if its possible, i may set up a new sterile QT for her, then clean the current one out and get it dried... im going to vinegar the rocks, then soak in RO for a week, then let them dry out completely in the sun for a couple weeks. i hate letting go of rock.
ill clean and soak the filters (over the back type) and clean out the tank. i did really good about not allowing anything that touched the QT get anywhere near my DT so im certain ive kept it out of there.
Highly doubt they all aren’t infected and wouldn’t mess around with uronema. I would risk ich without question before uronema. Stuff is evil. You can save the rock after cleaning. As long as it’s dry 100 percent for a few days. They recommend a fan as the slightest moisture anywhere it can survive. I don’t know anyone who relays on cleaners to kill it

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree and waiting and watching isn’t the answer as many times fish look good. Managing is only good until a fish gets stressed then parasite can take hold when they are down
should i consider euthanasia for the last remaining one?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i consider euthanasia for the last remaining one?
I wouldn’t have you see no red spots. Just treat them and see. Once the red spot shows then euthanize probably the best bet. I’m told once the red spot is there very rarely fish will make it long enough to be treated but sometimes can.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it’s uronema and not an infection
positive. the male had the classic open red sores... started on one side near base of tail. ended up on both sides... started as a discoloration under the skin.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back