It was this big... Now its this big...

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dropped in 5 gallons of water with high nutrients. Siphoned out as much of the dinos as I could. Removed the chaeto. Starting a blackout... hope my coral can handle this... they are very stressed...

20210307_171058.jpg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it fixed my problem or was coincidence, but about 1.5 yrs ago I struggled with dinos and eradicating them. I did a heavy prodibio bacteria dose & then added an oxydator and ran it consistently for about 8 months (until the pandemic started and the right % peroxide got hard to find) if I recall correctly I noticed the dinos begin to disappear within a week and they never came back.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my opinion would be atleast 2-3 hours of blues..but have never done blackout.. :)

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@fishguy242 @Eagle_Steve @MERKEY do you think I'd be ok to run 2 of my T5s while doing this? I'm afraid the coral won't survive if I dont...
I blacked out 4 days, no blues, with some stress to lps & sps but they all bounced back. It didn't solve the problem for more than a few days.
+1

You should be ok for 2 or 3 days blacked out with no loss, but every tank is different.

I've read of people going longer with no issues but I'd hate to be the person to tell you it's all good and something bad happens.

Let's see get a couple more responses especially that really smart guy @Eagle_Steve says :cool: :p

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 @Eagle_Steve @MERKEY do you think I'd be ok to run 2 of my T5s while doing this? I'm afraid the coral won't survive if I dont...
It depends on the Dinos. Do you have a scope? Black out will only work for some types. Also, for a blackout, it can cause stress to corals. Especially sps corals.

Tbh, anytime I have dealt with Dinos, I have always dosed bottled bac (biosprira or fritz turbo start) and then dosed sodium triphisphate and/or sodium nitrate. Depended on what nutrient was bottomed out.

Also, either method you chose, run a crap ton of carbon. Dead Dinos irritate the crap out of corals.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the Dinos. Do you have a scope? Black out will only work for some types. Also, for a blackout, it can cause stress to corals. Especially sps corals.

Tbh, anytime I have dealt with Dinos, I have always dosed bottled bac (biosprira or fritz turbo start) and then dosed sodium triphisphate and/or sodium nitrate. Depended on what nutrient was bottomed out.

Also, either method you chose, run a crap ton of carbon. Dead Dinos irritate the crap out of corals.
Both phosphates and nitrates bottomed out. Nitrates undetectable phosphates .04... ill have to rig up some carbon.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both phosphates and nitrates bottomed out. Nitrates undetectable phosphates .04... ill have to rig up some carbon.
If you are near a big city, this sodium nitrate is usually available overnight or next day.

Trisodium phosphate is best from loud wolf.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeked in the tank today and ran some tests... a little bit of dinos left. But not much considering the extensive quick outbreak I had.
Nitrates register at between 2 and 5. Not quite where I want them but better than 0. Phosphates I knew I was bumping up quick. The water I used from another tank is very high. Test came back at .21. So a little high but much better than .03... ill give it a couple more days to adjust and keep feeding heavy.

Question for everyone. Does adding phyto, specifically live phyto raise nutrients or is it more likely to consume them enough to matter?

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DINOS ARE ALREADY GONE!

Everything looks much better. Nems are traveling probably because of the lack of light.

It's interesting to me how none of my acros seem affected but my birdsnest had about 33% bleaching and stn.
20210310_211404.jpg
20210310_211355.jpg
20210310_211359.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DINOS ARE ALREADY GONE!

Everything looks much better. Nems are traveling probably because of the lack of light.

It's interesting to me how none of my acros seem affected but my birdsnest had about 33% bleaching and stn.
20210310_211404.jpg
20210310_211355.jpg
20210310_211359.jpg
Birds nest are the @&$)@&$ of sticks. Littlest thing sets them off lol.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back