Fixing a FLOATING reef.

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howzit guys.....

I got this reefer 170 from a mate with a nice piece of rock.

I am gonna fix the rock like he had it before but he said SILICONE did not hold it up nicely.

SHOOT A FEW IDEAS on how i can fix it....

1.) Glass ribs silicone either side of the overflow & recess a small slot in the rock & rest it on the glass ribs (AS PER THE ROUGH SKETCH)

1580195063521.png

Here is a pic of it how it looked, i will be fixing the same way, but need a solid plan ti fix it

1580195177054.png

Your input & suggestions will GREATLY be appriciated.

Thanks
Martin

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use reef safe magnets like those on frag racks etc.

I am not sure if that will hold...... Rock is lighter in water but dnt think it will be that light..

Also dnt trust those magnet, one gets damaged maybe & then i get rust in the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion thou

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... is the back plastic or glass? Does the rock have a channel cut in the back to surround the overflow? I glued my rocks to the back wall of my tank using regular Gorilla glue - not sure if you have it there or not - it's an expanding polyurathane glue that is inert once set. BUT... I used a saw to flatten the back of my rocks, turned the tank on its back and glued them in that way. Not sure if this will work for you though.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about hob clear acrylic? You could make a platform and glue it to that. Even have a couple of acrylic pegs sticking up to help secure it?

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... is the back plastic or glass? Does the rock have a channel cut in the back to surround the overflow? I glued my rocks to the back wall of my tank using regular Gorilla glue - not sure if you have it there or not - it's an expanding polyurathane glue that is inert once set. BUT... I used a saw to flatten the back of my rocks, turned the tank on its back and glued them in that way. Not sure if this will work for you though.

Its a glass overflow.

yes the rock has been shaped to wrap around the overflow & its nice & flat against it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd use a clear acrylic false overflow that hangs only from the sides, but goes to the bottom of the tank all the way around and glue it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need to peg at all if you glue it.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldnt be hard too make a u out of acrylic and a heat gun just need a metal square the same size as the bend. Id probably use 1/2” as there will be no front suport

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hang on. Just overlook my sketch.
IMG_20200128_092919740.jpg

Last edited:

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah - glass... Gorilla glue isn't great at sticking to super smooth surfaces. If you do go hang on acrylic backing, just remember that a lot of glues won't stick to that very well either. I'd scuff the heck out of it with like 40 grit sandpaper and use a 2 part slow set epoxy. I think, though, with a glass overflow and flat rocks, you would be more than safe with a good, high quality aquarium 100% silicone. Tilt the tank onto its back - put the rock in place where you want it, double check, shmooey the silicone on the rock good and heavy, put it in there and stack a few books on top of the rocks and let it set for the recommended time.

I've used good silicone to attach full-length foam backgrounds (which have an equal, but opposite problem in tanks - buoyancy) to cichlid tanks without any problems. Silicone is flexible, strong, and sticks to glass well.

EDIT: Woops, saw that silicone did not do it last time. So use MORE silicone! If the rocks are flat and you use adequate silicone, I would imagine that it would be *difficult* to remove the rock from the overflow.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm anxious to see what you do.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humm what about an acrilic stand:
sketch.png

clear acrylic stand/brace against the glass. Glue on some acrylic pegs to hang the rock and maybe glue it.
Bottom/base would be invisible under the sand. Vertical stand part invisible against the glass.
You can DIY as it does not have to be pretty and does not have to be big.
You would use small pieces of thick acrylic and probably add small triangle in the 90' cornerto firm up.
If your rock goes 270' around the overflow then might be enough mass hugging the corners that you would not need those triangles but beter safe than sorry.

OP
OP
Vleis

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humm what about an acrilic stand:
sketch.png

clear acrylic stand/brace agaisnt the glass. Glue in some acrylic pegs to hang the rock and maybe glue it.
Bottom would invisible be under the sand. Vertical stand part invisible against the glass.
You can DIY as it does not have to be pretty and does not have to be big.

Not a bad idea......

I got the tank back today & will lay it on its back & place the rock in its spot & take a few pics for a clearer idea....

EDIT: BTW Great drawings skills:p:p:p

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Overflows have little slats leading to pipe to sump. I personally would drill 2-2 holes and attach nylon screws (like for license pkates) and utilize the openings in overflows to secure it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back