Fixing the lack of algae

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this may sound weird, but I don't have enough algae. I added a full CUC to a bare tank, and I can tell they're hungry because they keep sticking to the coral plugs (which have coralline algae and others on them). I'm scared that this is bothering my coral though. How can I feed these suckers and have them leave my corals alone?

OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 48 hours I have discovered the shells of my TINY nassarius snails are empty. I fear that the scarlet hermit crabs I keep, which are all much much larger than the snails, have eaten them. Is this possible? How do I avoid my hermits eating the other snails? Only food I've been dosing is benereef every 2 days. I tried putting a small piece of dried kelp in there but there was no interest.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
best food to offer them:
1649731430185.png

OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed a pellet of this today. Practically no interest from all tank inhabitants except two nassarius snails. I even manually moved the crabs near the pellet in case they didn't see it. Ended up cutting it in half and leaving half in. It's been 45 minutes.

I think I will leave the half in for another 2 hours, before removing it (don't want to spike my tank, and it's making the water a bit cloudy).

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this because they're hungry or could it be something else?
I only keep Scarelts in my tanks. They may not be small enough to get into really tight spaces but they are beautiful and very productive. I would not consider them a risk to anything in the tank.. but any hungry crab will be opportunistic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back