FizxVix3n’s First SW Tank

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first SW aquarium! Having had FW for many many years, I’ve always wanted to try SW. I finally started reading/researching back in 2013 and purchased a coralife biocube 29 a couple of years ago. Some family illness, work issues and a newborn put a pause on actually getting the tank wet but that gave me a lot of time to figure out what I needed to do.

To start, I found the stock stand for the BC to be rather flimsy and I was not comfortable with its ability to withstand the crazy activities of a toddler so I spent some time beefing it up.

- Modified Stock Stand -
1. Removed those little plastic feet and replaced them with furniture “bun” feet to add about 5 inches of height. The feet are attached with metal corner plates about 6 inches long on each axis (secured every 2 inches with screws into stand frame), which distributes the weight of the tank evenly over 4 heavy duty metal brackets instead of the dinky plastic nubs.
2. Removed the cardboard backing and added 3/4 inch plywood which extends to the exterior measurements of the stand. That way I could anchor all the walls to the back for increased stability.
3. I used 1-1/2 inch angle brackets and put 2 on each wall and attached the new back cover to the stand with them. They added a ton of stability. I was planning on adding some to the top of the stand inside in case it was necessary but with the new back and angle brackets, this thing is rock solid.
4. I added magnetic child locks for my nosy toddler who has participated in every step of this build.
IMG_5802.JPG

I had everyone I know sit, jump, rock, tumble, you name it, try to knock it over (some 300+ pounds). My tank is in the living room on carpet so I placed 2 12x24 inch tiles under the tank for increased stability. It’s been good so far!
Image1518378373.291538.jpg

- Tank Mods -
I removed the bioballs and placed the intank media rack and refugium in chamber 2 with filter floss (while cycling). I intend to use it for the chemical filtration sacks once things get rolling. I will add chaeto and pods to the tank soon (reading to figure out when) because I would like to have a mandarin later once things have matured. The light for the refugium is a magnetic LED innovative marine fuge light which seems to fit well so far.

I currently have a cobalt neo 100W in chamber 1 and just the stock pump in chamber 3. The pump may be upgraded later but for now, it seems to be running smoothly and quietly.

In the DT I have 2 Koralia Nano 425 powerheads running on an alternate 30 minute schedule (pump 1 on 12-12:30, pump 2 on 12:30-1, for example). Since I do not have a controller, I put those on mechanical timers.

There is approximately 20# of marcorocks base rock that I epoxied together to form 2 main islands sitting on top of fitted eggcrate. I left the hardscape rather under-built with the intention of having space to add islands of Xenia (or Christmas worms) later. I also attached a barnacle that I thought would make a great cubby for a critter and add visual interest.

The 1 to 1.5in. sand bed is about 20# of dry sand with 5# of live sand (aragonite/oolite) since I found the bed to be a little shallow. I also added a little air bubbler just to add visual interest and help move and oxygenate the water. The lights are currently stock and will be upgraded once the tank matures and I can consider coral.

Image1518379927.163496.jpg

View from “my seat” on left side of tank.
Image1518379965.395699.jpg

View from the right.
Image1518380006.735842.jpg

FTS.
Image1518380059.667673.jpg

I mixed up some salt water with water from a RO/DI Buddie over night, added the RO/DI water and a bottle of Dr. Tim’s one and only (along with an expired bottle of fritz) and the next day added a shrimp from the grocery store in a knotted panty hose. That was a week ago and I’m just starting to see a diatom bloom forming.

Currently my tank is at 78.5F, salinity of 1.024, ammonia 0.5ppm, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. I will begin testing daily now that the diatom bloom has started. I’m very excited to be doing this project, the ocean has always been my slice of heaven and now I can sit back and enjoy it in my home! Thank you for reading! Lindsey

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back