Flakes, pellets, or something else?

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use tropical micro pellets to feed my fish. I would take a tiny scoop (approximately 1 cubic centimeter), soak it with water, and use a pipette to feed it to the fish to make sure they ate every last bit. The fish ate well and there was minimal waste. However, I felt like the corals were not getting adequate food.

Then, I switched over to tropical flakes and simply used the 1 cubic cm scoop to send flakes directly into the water column. The flakes had been ground into almost a powder. Big enough particles for the fish and snails to chase while the Powerheads circulated the food, and small enough that I felt the corals could catch some.

I have run out of flakes, and would like to know the best replacement. All advice welcome.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to use tropical micro pellets to feed my fish. I would take a tiny scoop (approximately 1 cubic centimeter), soak it with water, and use a pipette to feed it to the fish to make sure they ate every last bit. The fish ate well and there was minimal waste. However, I felt like the corals were not getting adequate food.

Then, I switched over to tropical flakes and simply used the 1 cubic cm scoop to send flakes directly into the water column. The flakes had been ground into almost a powder. Big enough particles for the fish and snails to chase while the Powerheads circulated the food, and small enough that I felt the corals could catch some.

I have run out of flakes, and would like to know the best replacement. All advice welcome.
There are numerous 'foods' that fish eat - that corals will eat as well. I think the small particles of any food can be used

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add frozen foods to the diet which will also feed coral in addition to the fish "poo".
Pellets are not enough asfish need fats, aminos and meats in their diet. Some foods are:
Kikari Marine cuisine
LRS Fish Frenzy
Spirulina Brine shrimp3
Small plankton
Mysis shrimp

Back