FLAME and CORAL BEAUTY ANGEL WITH SPOTS? DECEASED

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I am hoping for the best with these guys they seem to have a hierarchy going already and tind to leave eachother alone in the qt. we shall see when they actually have some rocks and caves to fight over.

There are 4 hiding spots in my qt a skull and 2 90 pvc elbows 1 1/2" and a 1 1/2" coupler.
I was surprised since I have a 120g system with plenty of hiding spots and they did just fine in QT together. I also know many people who successfully keep them together in much smaller systems than I tried in. I kept trying to explain that to the Flame Angel, but he refused to listen. o_O
Hopefully you will have better luck!

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised since I have a 120g system with plenty of hiding spots and they did just fine in QT together. I also know many people who successfully keep them together in much smaller systems than I tried in. I kept trying to explain that to the Flame Angel, but he refused to listen. o_O
Hopefully you will have better luck!
Again thanks for the luck. Ill need it probably. Gotta get them healthy first. I will try to keep updates coming.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is that link above. I still don't see how you think this is velvet. Not trying to contradict. Just trying to see why you think it is velvet. In case I ever get it.

Symptoms -
Velvet dinospores will usually invade the gills first and sometimes kill the fish right then due to asphyxiation. If this happens, you may never see physical evidence of velvet on the skin & fins. Therefore, it is important to observe for these key behavioral symptoms of velvet:
  • Reduced or complete loss of appetite.
  • Heavy breathing, rubbing, flashing, head twitching, erratic swimming behavior (unfortunately velvet shares all these same symptoms with ich & gill flukes.)
  • Swimming into the flow of a powerhead (unique to velvet).
  • Acting reclusive (velvet causes fish to be sensitive to light).
If visible physical symptoms do manifest:
  • Velvet may initially start out looking just like ich, with salt or sugar-like “sprinkles” visible mostly on the fins.
  • Within days or sometimes just hours, these tiny white dots will spread all over the fish’s body, covering it in “dust.” This dust may look grey-gold colored if viewed at the right angle and under the right spectrum of light. For this reason, it may be difficult to see velvet on a yellow or light colored fish (look from an angle, not directly from the side). However, sometimes a fish’s body will look “dirty” or show “dark areas” just before velvet appears.
  • There are two ways to differentiate velvet from ich:
  1. Velvet trophonts (and the correlating dots) are much smaller than ich. They range in size from 10-80 micrometers in diameter. They are also perfectly round. Ich trophonts are more oval shaped and range in size from 48 x 27 to 452 x 360 micrometers. Both start off small but then grow in size before dropping off. It has been said that velvet makes a fish look like it has been dusted with a fine powder, whereas ich is more like salt grains.
  2. If you can count the number of white dots on your fish, then you are probably dealing with ich. If they are too numerous to count, it is most likely velvet.

1) The overall appearance of the spots and how small they are.
2) Swimming in to powerheads is most frequently observed in tangs. Angels tend to swim towards the surface, if anything.
3) Most importantly, the spots falling off seemingly overnight or "moving" (or removing) in less than 5 days is textbook velvet lifecycle (significantly shorter than ich which remains for several days).

I am not certain it's velvet, but if any spots are involved -- it's a very good bet. I've not seen any angel come from any distributor in the past year or two that has not come in with velvet or ich, most have velvet. I've quarantined/purchased about 15 now. I run ALL fish through copper, but especially angels and tangs.

In looking at the video -- I do suspect potential flukes and also advise a FW dip to see if anything comes off. Use a dark bucket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) The overall appearance of the spots and how small they are.
2) Swimming in to powerheads is most frequently observed in tangs. Angels tend to swim towards the surface, if anything.
3) Most importantly, the spots falling off seemingly overnight or "moving" (or removing) in less than 5 days is textbook velvet lifecycle (significantly shorter than ich which remains for several days).

I am not certain it's velvet, but if any spots are involved -- it's a very good bet. I've not seen any angel come from any distributor in the past year or two that has not come in with velvet or ich, most have velvet. I've quarantined/purchased about 15 now. I run ALL fish through copper, but especially angels and tangs.

In looking at the video -- I do suspect flukes and also advise a FW dip to see if anything comes off. Use a dark bucket.
WILL DO!

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip done on both, nothing in bottom of black bucket afterwards. did a 10 gal wc on my 30 breeder qt and still dont have copper. Here are what pix i could get sorry had to use flash to get anything.

flameinqt1111417.jpg flameqt2111417.jpg coralbeautqt1111417.jpg coralbeautqt2111417.jpg

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered some copper for overnight shipping 2 kinds one from brs and coppersafe from amazon. with an api copper test kit and a salifert test kit as well. i think i will use the coppersafe.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are looking good. Watching this thread to see what the final prognosis is...

On the Flip side.. WAY TO GO having a qt tank. Can't tell you how important that is!!! (Plug just in case a newer person gets on here) ...

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im home... Coral beauty is gone. It went to fishy heaven. Lol... got my coppersafe and an api test kit. Copper says 5ml per 4 gal. My qt it 30 gal. So 30+ ml... I dosed 10ml now i will do maybe 2ml tonight, 10ml in am, and 10 tommorow afternoon. Depending on flame angel of course. And i will test 30 min after each dose. Last pic will be a shot of my api test results idk if you guys will be able to but let me know what u think of this plan.

Be advised graphic pic dead fish. Then ill have the flame angel hiding of course. And Copper test.
20171115_161944.jpg 20171115_162011.jpg 20171115_162506.jpg 20171115_162509.jpg 20171115_162513.jpg 20171115_170235.jpg

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mckinleyw Still a little low.
Yeah Im trying to go slightly slow should be at right level by tonight or tomorrow morning. I have dosed 10 ml around 6pm yesterday, and then 5ml at about 9pm, then I dosed 10 ml at 615 this am. This is a 30 gal breeder, so im about 5 ml or a lil more to be at the right level I think.

OP
OP
mckinleyw

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, where did you find a 30 breeder for sale? I see 40 gal breeders all the time, but never the 30 breeders. o_O
LOL. This 30 breeder I got a long time ago. It was actually my first display tank. I acquired it from my uncle who used to have a aquarium maintenance company/LLC. It makes a good QT now. I don't see them much anymore though.

I actually have 2 of these, which was my original setup one 30 was the dt and I silicone a couple baffles in the second one for a sump. im still running the sump on my current 50 gal display.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back