Flame angel has a small white patch

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0EFA41D8-3401-4444-A287-B7A500FB8DE3.jpeg

Ignore the white dots, my clowns made a mess with the sand when I turned the pumps off. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate 5ppm, ph 8.1. I do have dinos that I’m treating with Dr. Tim’s and a blackout. I feed a mixture of different frozen foods, dry pellets and clams on a half shell 2-4 times a day. Behavior has not changed and it eats regularly. I have notice long stringy poop twice but it didn’t stick around long. I have been dosing a very small amount of carbon in a dual reactor. The second reactor just has filter floss and I rinse the carbon before use. Also attached is my purple fire fish that died around 2 months ago. The flame angel was not in the tank with it so I don’t know if it could be related or not. The fire fish was bullied by my six line and stressed. It didn’t show any signs of disease but added just in case. 33498A5A-7E5D-4982-AC8D-EEAB809BBCA8.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you try to get a clearer pic/point out where on the fish the white is? It’s hard to make out what is or isn’t debris/smudges on the glass.
The firefish looks like an aggression death to me - I doubt it’s related.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate 5ppm, ph 8.1. I feed a mixture of different frozen foods, dry pellets and clams on a half shell 2-4 times a day. Behavior has not changed and it eats regularly. I have notice long stringy poop twice but it didn’t stick around long. I have been dosing a very small amount of carbon in a dual reactor. The second reactor just has filter floss and I rinse the carbon before use. Also attached is my purple fire fish that died around 2 months ago. The flame angel was not in the tank with it so I don’t know if it could be related or not. The fire fish was bullied by my six line and stressed. It didn’t show any signs of disease but added just in case. 33498A5A-7E5D-4982-AC8D-EEAB809BBCA8.jpeg
Could you try to get a clearer pic/point out where on the fish the white is? It’s hard to make out what is or isn’t debris/smudges on the glass.
The firefish looks like an aggression death to me - I doubt it’s related.
I’m going to once the water clears back up if the clowns allow it lol. I didn’t think the fire fish was related but added to get other opinions.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ignore the white dots, my clowns made a mess with the sand when I turned the pumps off. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate 5ppm, ph 8.1. I do have dinos that I’m treating with Dr. Tim’s and a blackout. I feed a mixture of different frozen foods, dry pellets and clams on a half shell 2-4 times a day. Behavior has not changed and it eats regularly. I have notice long stringy poop twice but it didn’t stick around long. I have been dosing a very small amount of carbon in a dual reactor. The second reactor just has filter floss and I rinse the carbon before use. Also attached is my purple fire fish that died around 2 months ago. The flame angel was not in the tank with it so I don’t know if it could be related or not. The fire fish was bullied by my six line and stressed. It didn’t show any signs of disease but added just in case. 33498A5A-7E5D-4982-AC8D-EEAB809BBCA8.jpeg
While the pic is fuzzy, there appears to a bacterial issue going on. Is fish somewhat bloated or scales protruding/sticking out slightly?
>How is fish breathing?
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and with what test kits are you checking with ?

On firefish, I see aggression damage and being delicate, likely cause of uts death or contributor to

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the pic is fuzzy, there appears to a bacterial issue going on. Is fish somewhat bloated or scales protruding/sticking out slightly?
>How is fish breathing?
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and with what test kits are you checking with ?

On firefish, I see aggression damage and being delicate, likely cause of uts death or contributor to
Not bloated, breathing fine. The only symptom is the white patch on the side. I just noticed it today and will be watching carefully for other symptoms to show. Ammonia is at zero. Nitrate is 5ppm. Test kit was API. The tank has been established for 4-5 years but recently moved the tank into another room. The tank was fish only until I moved it with the exception of a small Zoa frag, but have since added some Monti, Duncans, and a Hammer if that helps.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not bloated, breathing fine. The only symptom is the white patch on the side. I just noticed it today and will be watching carefully for other symptoms to show. Ammonia is at zero. Nitrate is 5ppm. Test kit was API. The tank has been established for 4-5 years but recently moved the tank into another room. The tank was fish only until I moved it with the exception of a small Zoa frag, but have since added some Monti, Duncans, and a Hammer if that helps.
I question the accuracy of your water test as API is less than reliable but what you can do is take a water sample to a reliable LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
I emphasize this as I suspect water and tank move to another room with reset will elevate levels temporarily.
Have treatment on hand in case needed and will have to be done in quarantine.
Recommended is either seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 for at least 5 days and provide additional oxygen with air stone during any treatment

Upvote 0

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I question the accuracy of your water test as API is less than reliable but what you can do is take a water sample to a reliable LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
I emphasize this as I suspect water and tank move to another room with reset will elevate levels temporarily.
Have treatment on hand in case needed and will have to be done in quarantine.
Recommended is either seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 for at least 5 days and provide additional oxygen with air stone during any treatment
API is not less than reliable…. API is useless.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wanted to say that but figured someone with same experience would come forward /. . LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>How is fish breathing?

I wanted to say that but figured someone with same experience would come forward /. . LOL
I knew I would get that reaction lol, I only use it for ammonia which I don’t test for often. I had it tested after the move and everything was good. I will be going to my lfs today to get a few treatments to keep on hand and I’ll have them test it to be sure. Will post their results in a few hours.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I knew I would get that reaction lol, I only use it for ammonia which I don’t test for often. I had it tested after the move and everything was good. I will be going to my lfs today to get a few treatments to keep on hand and I’ll have them test it to be sure. Will post their results in a few hours.
The problem child with API is ammonia often reading zero but youre on it

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just as a side note; we see a number of health issues where the person says, "Oh, and I'm dealing with dino's" - either lots of people are dealing with that issue, and it's just a coincidence, or maybe something in the process is causing stress to the fish?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a side note; we see a number of health issues where the person says, "Oh, and I'm dealing with dino's" - either lots of people are dealing with that issue, and it's just a coincidence, or maybe something in the process is causing stress to the fish?

Jay

Jay
I’m sure it can’t be good for them, it grazes on algae all day so it is definitely possible that it ate some of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a picture of this fish will go down as one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. After watching it for a few hours it looks like it has either almost gone away or it is translucent. There is a small spot visible behind the eye right above the fin. Also has a long strand of poo hanging from it after feeding.

Attachments

• EFC48412-EA72-441C-832A-3ECEAF9E2709.png
    EFC48412-EA72-441C-832A-3ECEAF9E2709.png
    729.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1E17F455-1A3C-41B2-B85D-DFA330D4B989.png
    1E17F455-1A3C-41B2-B85D-DFA330D4B989.png
    766.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 3AD7E83E-2155-4C1F-B9CE-AF62AAF1CD6E.png
    3AD7E83E-2155-4C1F-B9CE-AF62AAF1CD6E.png
    678.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 98DFB1DE-EEA4-4875-9BE0-38A86F08460A.jpeg
    98DFB1DE-EEA4-4875-9BE0-38A86F08460A.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look bacterial - I would go with the treatment that @vetteguy53081 suggested. Has it eaten mysis recently? The poop is concerning.
I do have a frozen food that has some mysis in it (san Francisco bay brand emerald entree),
but it has been at least a week since I’ve fed that if not longer. I mostly feed frozen brine shrimp, new life spectrum pellets on occasion, and clams on a half shell that I give to my valentini puffer but the flame angel has been eating a lot of it the past few times I’ve fed it. It also grazes on algea all day long.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zandycheeks235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my lfs test the water, everything checked out. I was able to show them a few videos I was able to get and we believe it is just a small abrasion but will be picking up the recommended medications just in case. Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back