Flame Angel in QT wont eat

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a flame angel from a local reefer who had an ich outbreak. I Put the flame into my QT tank and he has been there for 3 days but it doesn't seem like he has much of an appetite. He mainly just hides in the PVC most of the time.

Setup:
I pulled the water out of my DT and setup this tank the same day that I got the flame angel
It has been running for 3 days and I am really just watching the ammonia badge. I do have a sponge in the HOB filter.
I have tried LRS food, In the picture you can see the nori on the acrylic rod (Makes removing it easier), and today I tried some angel specific food which I couldn't see him eating it, but he was making movements in the water like he was eating.

I have also been using garlic power on the food to try to promote eating.
There are no chemicals in the water, I want to get him eating before I start treating and he isn't showing signs at the moment so I feel as though this method is the best for him.

Any ideas on how to get him to have his appetite back?
zEjpNdPh.jpg

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angle would not eat for a few days. Someone on R2R suggested flake food and it worked like a charm! I use Tetramin.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angle would not eat for a few days. Someone on R2R suggested flake food and it worked like a charm! I use Tetramin.
I agree it sounds crazy, but my Flame Angel was like this, too. It prefers the pellets from the auto feeder over LRS or nori. In QT I got it started on flakes before it ate anything else. In my DT it keeps my amphipod population under control along with eating algae off rocks and is the only fish that doesn't go nuts when I put the LRS in the tank.

OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I need to go to the store tomorrow to buy some flakes

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's ich and not velvet? A fish with velvet may refuse to eat until after it is cured & feeling better.

OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. He doesn't have any physical signs of sickness that I can see. The person I got him from mentioned his tank had ich which is why he was taking all the fish out to go fallow.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he appear healthy? Is he picking at the rocks?

OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems healthy at the moment. He is in QT so there aren't any rocks to pick at. He did seem to eat some cyclops last night but it was too hard to tell.

OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got him to eat some frozen mysis tonight. I think I'll do another small feeding right before bed just since I know it has been a bit since he's eaten much

OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed him some more mysis tonight and he was pounding it. I'm going to pick up some flakes to mix things up a little bit I appreciate all the help and input!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back