Flame angel jumping out of tank

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found my flame angel jumped out of the tank and dead .... . Has anyone experienced the same? What could have caused this to happen? He is my family fave fish and now gone ...

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this happen as well. To a black and white pygmy angel. I covered my tank with a canopy after that. I now use a mesh top.
Here's a pic of the kit I used. Got it from Marinedepot.
20180308_174911.jpg

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh top is the way to go. You can do the kit from Marine Depot, or just buy nylon mesh (Bulk Reef Supply carries it) and pick up a DIY screen kit at your local hardware store.

OP
OP
bing_ph

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a lid was least of my options before but i need it now more than ever ... thanks for the advises ...

OP
OP
bing_ph

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, sorry for the loss of your fish. It's amazing how attached we get to the life in our systems.
thanks a lot....true our attachment to them is really very surprising an loosing one makes us feel so sad

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot....true our attachment to them is really very surprising an loosing one makes us feel so sad
Yep... just lost my Diamond Goby last night to jumping... kids are devastated and we've only had him 6 weeks... he only had 2 days left in quarantine!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that ANY fish can jump. If you don't like the look of the DIY lids, you can also get a custom acrylic lid made by Artfully Acrylic or Octo Aquatics (cromag27). Both are vendors here. I have an Artfully Acrylic lid and I am well pleased with the quality and appearance.

OP
OP
bing_ph

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... just lost my Diamond Goby last night to jumping... kids are devastated and we've only had him 6 weeks... he only had 2 days left in quarantine!
so sad to hear that...i feel your kids

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that ANY fish can jump. If you don't like the look of the DIY lids, you can also get a custom acrylic lid made by Artfully Acrylic or Octo Aquatics (cromag27). Both are vendors here. I have an Artfully Acrylic lid and I am well pleased with the quality and appearance.

Just be aware that a hard top can cause injuries, especially with wrasses.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer using black bridal tulle as it has a bit of give to it when hitting instead of a somewhat rigid wall of plastic the mesh has.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that a hard top can cause injuries, especially with wrasses.
That may be, but if they make it out of the tank, it will be fatal - unless they jump with you watching. The acrylic lids I was speaking of are screen tops with an acrylic frame.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way too. I just used the screen frame kit from lowes and the clear mesh that is very inexpensive from Marine Depot or BRS.
Screenshot_20180309-140904.png
Screenshot_20180309-140916.png

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have had more fish jump from quarantine, I do not know what it is.. I even have a glass lid and they fit through where it opens for the filter. Lost my blue throat trigger.

All tanks should have lids. Certain fish like most wrasses, jawfish etc. will most defiantly jump out given enough time, but I have found all fish jump sometimes.. A lot are just from being spooked, firefish are well known for this.

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a screen top with barely 5 millimeter space on the sides. And yes, my Ruby red dragonet succeeded in getting out. Saving for an acrylic lid now....

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just lost a ruby long fin fairy wrasse last week to the hardwoods. The tank bully is removed and I have a screen kit ordered from BRS.

Most Wrasses are jumper without a top it will eventually happen. BRS tops are good quality and easy to put together. You can buy the stuff from home depot for cheaper but then you have to buy all the individual parts and still find the screen.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Wrasses are jumper without a top it will eventually happen. BRS tops are good quality and easy to put together. You can buy the stuff from home depot for cheaper but then you have to buy all the individual parts and still find the screen.

I had a sapphire damsel in the tank that was supposed to be completely peaceful. Turns out, sapphire damsels hate wrasse. It left my clowns and tail spot alone but constantly chased my multicolor and my long fin. After the long fin jumped, from harrassment, I removed the damsel and now my multicolor is much more relaxed and swims around more. Everyone gets along just fine. All damsels are the devil. I doubt I have another fish jump, but I'm getting the screen just in case.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a sapphire damsel in the tank that was supposed to be completely peaceful. Turns out, sapphire damsels hate wrasse. It left my clowns and tail spot alone but constantly chased my multicolor and my long fin. After the long fin jumped, from harrassment, I removed the damsel and now my multicolor is much more relaxed and swims around more. Everyone gets along just fine. All damsels are the devil. I doubt I have another fish jump, but I'm getting the screen just in case.

They are still jumpers even if not being chased, its their nature.. Pretty well known fact is put a cover over a wrasse because eventually they jump. Some jump less than others and occasionally someone may have one not jump but the majority of the time they will. Mater of fact there is a saying in the hobby the only non jumping wrasses is a dead wrasse on your floor or something like that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back