Flame angel parasite of some sort or ich???

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone have any idea what these two spots are? They appear on his left cheek only.
He’s in qt. 50 percent water change every two days. Ammonia is zero.
Initially was eating ten stopped after second day in qt. Salinity is 0.015.
He started exhibiting signs of flukes after day two by shaking; haven’t seen flashing while I’ve been observing.
Started prazi yesterday.

Initially I thought it was ich, but the spots haven’t spread, but they’ve remained stationary for two days?

41CAD9E8-6676-4952-ABF7-D6408E53457C.jpeg 37EEB39A-48BE-4BEA-99C2-BA7E2E19AF8E.jpeg 7F16AD25-DBDB-4C16-9283-DB08515DFB0C.jpeg B84BF892-DE15-4ACE-9CD0-6182DF090965.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4561.MOV
    27.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know getting fish photos is tough, but I can’t really tell you much from these. The video is clearer; I’m concerned as the fish is breathing a bit hard, and isn’t really swimming properly. Combine that with the not feeding, and I’m looking at some serious systemic issue, probably unrelated to the spots.
What prazi product are you using?
Is the tank aerated well?
How long has the fish gone without food?
Any guesses as to why it stopped feeding?

Jay

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know getting fish photos is tough, but I can’t really tell you much from these. The video is clearer; I’m concerned as the fish is breathing a bit hard, and isn’t really swimming properly. Combine that with the not feeding, and I’m looking at some serious systemic issue, probably unrelated to the spots.
What prazi product are you using?
Is the tank aerated well?
How long has the fish gone without food?
Any guesses as to why it stopped feeding?

Jay
Hi Jay,

Very sorry about the pics…

Hikari prazipro is what I started using. He’s in 20 gallon tank that has a sponge filter with a lot of bubbles hitting the surface, and a powerhead turning the surface over.
The temp is 76.5
He’s gone without food since Saturday from what I can see from observation. When I picked him up from the store he seemed to be eating ok. I know they had him in 0.10 and I rose the Salinity to 0.15 over two days. After that, I’m not sure why he stopped eating. I’m thinking about giving him a methylene blue bath when I get home, then putting him into my 90 gallon qt tank by himself.

I just finished transferring two yellows, one white cheek, two purple firefish, two lyratails, a blue hippo, and a couple others into observation. They all went through copper and a 4 rounds of prazi to eliminate stubborn flukes. My wife just checked on him, and he’s doing the same thing. The one thing that I wonder is he is in our cold room (not at-all yet cold) which I’m not sure gets less oxygen or something; though that shouldn’t matter because the doors all all open in our basement.

I hate losing any fish! And trying to make sure it doesn’t come to that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Very sorry about the pics…

Hikari prazipro is what I started using. He’s in 20 gallon tank that has a sponge filter with a lot of bubbles hitting the surface, and a powerhead turning the surface over.
The temp is 76.5
He’s gone without food since Saturday from what I can see from observation. When I picked him up from the store he seemed to be eating ok. I know they had him in 0.10 and I rose the Salinity to 0.15 over two days. After that, I’m not sure why he stopped eating. I’m thinking about giving him a methylene blue bath when I get home, then putting him into my 90 gallon qt tank by himself.

I just finished transferring two yellows, one white cheek, two purple firefish, two lyratails, a blue hippo, and a couple others into observation. They all went through copper and a 4 rounds of prazi to eliminate stubborn flukes. My wife just checked on him, and he’s doing the same thing. The one thing that I wonder is he is in our cold room (not at-all yet cold) which I’m not sure gets less oxygen or something; though that shouldn’t matter because the doors all all open in our basement.

I hate losing any fish! And trying to make sure it doesn’t come to that.

O.K., sounds like you did the prazi Rx properly. regarding the temperature - as long as its above 74 F., that shouldn't be an issue for this species, lower temps allow for more dissolved oxygen.

I would certainly keep this fish isolated, since the problem isn't known. Methylene blue will only give a temporary relief.

Two things I'm worried about is Amyloodinium (velvet) or a bacterial gill disease. Trouble is, neither has the same treatment. Neither is treated by low salinity.

In your third photo - there is some weird thing sticking out from the fish's left gill cover. Is that its opercula spine or something else?

Velvet would require copper and bacterial gill disease would need antibiotics. Water quality issues could also be in play here - but you said the ammonia is zero, and that is the biggest problem in that regard.

Darn - I just do not have a clear treatment path for you here!

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back