Flame angel pooping white strings.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small flame angel a few days ago and he seems super healthy and very active but I saw him poop one time and there was like a white cloud and a long white thing came out that was stuck to him for a few seconds then fell of and I heard that’s bad. Lfs said he was just feeding brine shrimp but I feed him brine shrimp and ocean nutrition prime reef flakes but he stopped eating flakes for some reason. I have other fish in my tank and I don’t want anything to spread so I really need some advice asap. Also the long white thing went in my filter so should I clean my filter out?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a small flame angel a few days ago and he seems super healthy and very active but I saw him poop one time and there was like a white cloud and a long white thing came out that was stuck to him for a few seconds then fell of and I heard that’s bad. Lfs said he was just feeding brine shrimp but I feed him brine shrimp and ocean nutrition prime reef flakes but he stopped eating flakes for some reason. I have other fish in my tank and I don’t want anything to spread so I really need some advice asap. Also the long white thing went in my filter so should I clean my filter out?
Did you quarantine the fish - or empirically treat with medication? (or did the place you got it from do so?). If not - it could be a reaction to shipping/diet or potentially a parasite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quarantine the fish - or empirically treat with medication? (or did the place you got it from do so?). If not - it could be a reaction to shipping/diet or potentially a parasite.
I don’t have a quarantine tank so I just put him in, he looked so healthy at the store so I thought it would be fine but I he was by himself in the tank so they might have been quarantining him but I don’t really know.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine occasionally squirts milky substance when fed LRS food. By chance are you feeding it mysis shrimp and/or brine shrimp?
If so, often these foods mimic the feces associated with internal issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine occasionally squirts milky substance when fed LRS food. By chance are you feeding it mysis shrimp and/or brine shrimp?
If so, often these foods mimic the feces associated with internal issues.
I feed it brine shrimp because that’s what they gave me and told me they feed him but they could have been also feeding him mysis shrimp too.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed it brine shrimp because that’s what they gave me and told me they feed him but they could have been also feeding him mysis shrimp too.
I kinda figured
Add some foods such as LRS fish frenzy, Hikari marine cuisine, small plankton and Hikari veggie diet

Upvote 0

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible it's not worms but generally speaking if any diseases or parasites are introduced then you can bet the others generally are at high risk of contraction/death.

Upvote 0

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I give to cure it
Slow down first... Feed it more than brine as a first step, reassess a few days later. Worms usually don't poop right out, they dangle for a while.

Brine is a good food to get fish eating, they aren't a great food for long term health. See prior suggestions.

If it happens again take a photo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down first... Feed it more than brine as a first step, reassess a few days later. Worms usually don't poop right out, they dangle for a while.

Brine is a good food to get fish eating, they aren't a great food for long term health. See prior suggestions.

If it happens again take a photo.
How long do I have before it becomes fatal

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I be worried about it getting to my other fish if it’s a parasite or something
At this time no and I suspect foods fed as the behavior you described does not suggest any symptoms of internal issues

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You cannot visually determine the cause of mucus in feces, kind of like how you can't really tell the reason a person coughs. Here is some text that I wrote on the subject:

Excess mucus in fish feces: this will present as white or light colored, stringy fecal material
that often hangs from the fish’s anus for a longer than normal period. There are a number of different causes
for this, some benign, others very serious. Without access to a microscope, there is little that can be
done to diagnose this issue effectively.

Idiopathic mucus feces: this fancy term is just to describe white mucoid bulky feces of no serious
consequence, but of an unknown cause. Some suspicion is that this can be caused by changes in diet
or diets high in fats.

Starvation: Fish that have no food moving through their bowels may excrete white mucoid feces with
little bulk to them. The primary diagnostic for this issue is evident in that the fish won’t been
seen to be eating. Resolving the anorexia is of course the prime focus to resolve this issue.

Bacterial infection: internal bacterial infections can cause stringy feces as well. While some of
these may resolve on their own, medicated foods containing a broad spectrum, gram negative oral
antibiotic may be required.

Metazoan infections: multicellular worms are often blamed for mucoid feces, but in reality, they
are almost never the root cause for this, and really, can only be diagnosed through looking for
their ova in fecal samples. Fish can harbor tapeworms and nematodes without producing mucoid feces.

Protozoan infection: Hexamita and related diplomonad flagellate protozoans very frequently cause
white stringy feces, especially in newly acquired clownfish. Metronidazole is the most frequent
treatment for this issue. It can be dosed orally at 25 mg per kg of fish body weight, or 5 g in a
kg of food. However, it is a very bitter medication, and some fish will refuse to feed on food
containing it. It can be dosed in the water at 25 mg/l, but this is more effective in treating
marine fishes, as freshwater fish do not “drink” aquarium water.

Coccidia: These microscopic, spore-forming, single-celled parasites are common diseases in dogs and
cats. In fish, they cause epithelial necrosis of the gut, enteritis and the copious production of
mucus (Noga 2010). These cannot be diagnosed without microscopic examination, and there is no well
researched cure for this in fishes, although Toltrazuril has been tested.

Constipation: This malady is often given as a cause for stringy feces, but it is not as common as
one would think. When it is seen, the feces are usually dark, not light in color. Often touted as a
“cure for constipation”, many aquarists add Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to the aquarium’s water
– do not do this in marine aquariums, its use is primarily as a tonic/dip for freshwater fish.
Seawater formulas already contain between 7 and 19 grams of magnesium sulfate per gallon (depending
on the recipe). NSW magnesium level is around 1200 ppm and sulfur is around 840 ppm. Some benefit
might be seen using it as a dip in additional concentrations, but adding a small amount to a marine
aquarium itself has no benefit. Epsom salts do have some possible benefit when mixed into the food
as a 3% by weight adjunct. Another commonly heard remedy for constipation is; “feed fresh peas”.
This is an effective cure for fancy goldfish and Malawi cichlids that develop constipation and
bloating. Again, overextrapolation has marine aquarists trying to feed peas to carnivorous fish,
etc. The best method to enhance gut motility in fish is to feed frozen adult brine shrimp – not as
a permanent diet, just long enough to get the constipation
resolved.

Jay

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should I be worried about it getting to my other fish if it’s a parasite or something
Yes - but if it resolves with feeding - and the fish looks healthy - it was probably not a parasite - but merely shipping/food.

BTW - the reason I said 'yes' is not because of the poop - its because you didn't Quarantine - so I would carefully watch your other fish for not only 'poop issues' - but other parasites as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - but if it resolves with feeding - and the fish looks healthy - it was probably not a parasite - but merely shipping/food.

BTW - the reason I said 'yes' is not because of the poop - its because you didn't Quarantine - so I would carefully watch your other fish for not only 'poop issues' - but other parasites as well
If it doesn’t resolve what could I give to cure it if it’s a parasite?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0
Back