Flame angel pooping white strings.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small flame angel a few days ago and he seems super healthy and very active but I saw him poop one time and there was like a white cloud and a long white thing came out that was stuck to him for a few seconds then fell of and I heard that’s bad. Lfs said he was just feeding brine shrimp but I feed him brine shrimp and ocean nutrition prime reef flakes but he stopped eating flakes for some reason. I have other fish in my tank and I don’t want anything to spread so I really need some advice asap. Also the long white thing went in my filter so should I clean my filter out?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it ok for other fish to eat and I have a cleaner shrimp can it eat that too?
How about - wait a week - and see what happens - with more solid foods, different foods. Metroplex should be safe for your shrimp. But - if you don't need it - I wouldn't use it personally. It has numerous potential side effects in humans - (of course we don't monitor for these in fish) - but many people seem to just say 'add xxxx' - but - my guess is that xxx has many unknown side effects. I would see how the fish does - and react to that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about - wait a week - and see what happens - with more solid foods, different foods. Metroplex should be safe for your shrimp. But - if you don't need it - I wouldn't use it personally. It has numerous potential side effects in humans - (of course we don't monitor for these in fish) - but many people seem to just say 'add xxxx' - but - my guess is that xxx has many unknown side effects. I would see how the fish does - and react to that.
I was going to only feed it pellets and see if the poop changes. do you know of any parasite medicine that you trust giving to your fish?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it ok for other fish to eat and I have a cleaner shrimp can it eat that too?
Yes. Change suggested diet first and see if poop changes color Before adding any treatment

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no fish doctor but when I got my flame angel over a year ago his first few poops were white and stringy.
I started feeding him twice a day, he loves mysis and spirulina brine, within a week he was pooping varying shades of green.

Feed him well and keep an eye on his poop.
Good luck with your new centerpiece.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no fish doctor but when I got my flame angel over a year ago his first few poops were white and stringy.
I started feeding him twice a day, he loves mysis and spirulina brine, within a week he was pooping varying shades of green.

Feed him well and keep an eye on his poop.
Good luck with your new centerpiece.
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if this Is this fish poop from my angelfish

Attachments

• E4CA0A46-4D93-4833-9E57-E3F8FF9FCF69.jpeg
    E4CA0A46-4D93-4833-9E57-E3F8FF9FCF69.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what symptoms would mean there is something wrong, he swims a around the tank a lot and has a big appetite so I’m assuming that means he’s ok right? Sorry if I’m bugging you about this just worried about losing all my fish?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week of only feeding him flakes i saw him poop again there was still a mucus strand but it was way smaller than the first one i saw, is this a sign it’s getting better or should i start dosing medication?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week of only feeding him flakes i saw him poop again there was still a mucus strand but it was way smaller than the first one i saw, is this a sign it’s getting better or should i start dosing medication?
Was the mucus feces still white?
Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish does have internal parasites can the fishes immune system fight them off on there own or do i have to treat it?
White mucus can be food related. It can also be bacterial or protozoan. It won’t be from worm parasites. Medicated food is really difficult to do correctly, do you have a gram scale to weigh the meds?
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White mucus can be food related. It can also be bacterial or protozoan. It won’t be from worm parasites. Medicated food is really difficult to do correctly, do you have a gram scale to weigh the meds?
Jay
No. If I had to give it medicine I would give it seachem metroplex so I wouldn’t have to weigh anything just measure, also can the fish immune system fight of bacteria diseases and protozoan parasites on its own? or if i do nothing will it end up just killing the fish eventually?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back