Flame Angel possible bacterial infection? Looking for advice.

Gophish1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some fish in a 40 gal quarantine. I noticed that the flame angel’s rear fin was starting to look a bit frayed and had some discoloration. Then I noticed it had a white spot on it’s body behind it’s left fin, and that fin also had some discoloration. It’s a bigger spot then when I had ich once before and it hangs off it’s body. He seems to be using that fin much less while swimming as well. At first I thought maybe the tangs also in QT were picking on it and biting the fins, but I’ve never seen aggression (one is a tomini and the other is a yellow that is half the FA’s size). But then I noticed the flame’s right eye was a bit cloudy. He also had some stringy white poop today that I hadn’t seen before. I feed mysis and pellets. From doing a little research it sounds like this might be a bacteria issue, but I was looking for some confirmation. None of the other fish have anything wrong with them as far as I can tell. No other medications have been started in that tank, but I was about to start a round of copper for all the inhabitants, but don’t feel comfortable doing so if the flame is already sick. I think the course of treatment recommended is Kanaplex. Is it best to treat the water or food or both? As I mentioned, no other fish show signs of sickness. Is there any harm medicating the other fish in the same tank? I can’t set up another QT. I tried to take pictures, but he’s still very active and camera shy. Ignore the other white dots on the fish as it’s just stuff floating around the water. I circled the only one it has but still hard to see.

CE84F196-E08B-4484-B069-86408D3D8A68.jpeg 327B5D48-5AD3-4C07-98D0-5FC880F2708E.jpeg E825428F-B2E2-4D14-848E-6A2DE5C0C10F.jpeg 871DB275-E177-4FDA-8D04-C3A29F786C33.jpeg 6FBEAF50-605F-45B0-9286-6652E3A9582E.jpeg 6708E3CB-64E1-4C14-924C-E31EAF1E84D2.jpeg 06A8F5EC-A87C-4122-B610-C206B2809361.jpeg 4652BFD7-3DD5-4029-B995-F28404B228E1.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure does look like aggression - (especially the shredded dorsal fin) it very likely is happening when you aren't in the room. You could try setting your phone up to video the tank and then leave the room and see if the culprit shows themselves.

There is also other things going on it seems. Holding fish in a QT without treatment is risky. Diseases get started up in the absence of preventative treatment. I try to get to full copper within 72 hours.

Putting medication in the food won't work unless you calculate the dose. We have articles in the sticky section here if you care to try that. Neoplex in the water is one way to go.

One cloudy eye is often from an injury, but if both eyes turn cloudy, it is often Neobenedenia flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
Gophish1982

Gophish1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal . You were very helpful on my first quarantine when I had Ich. Everyone made it through treatment, but unfortunately just two weeks before my fallow period was up, my yellow tang stopped eating and past.

for this new situation and batch of fish, Is it okay to use neoplex along with copper? I’m already very hesitant to use copper power with the flame angel because of the low success I’ve read about from others. I just don’t want to stress it out too much with multiple meds when it’s already particularly sensitive to copper. If you think it’s alright, I will get some Neo ordered and start the copper today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal . You were very helpful on my first quarantine when I had Ich. Everyone made it through treatment, but unfortunately just two weeks before my fallow period was up, my yellow tang stopped eating and past.

for this new situation and batch of fish, Is it okay to use neoplex along with copper? I’m already very hesitant to use copper power with the flame angel because of the low success I’ve read about from others. I just don’t want to stress it out too much with multiple meds when it’s already particularly sensitive to copper. If you think it’s alright, I will get some Neo ordered and start the copper today.

The first step is to stop whatever aggression is going on. After that, I would get the fish into coppersafe or copper power. Then, during the copper treatment, assess any need to dose with antibiotics or praziquantel (in case the eye issue ends up being flukes).

Protozoans are the number one, swift killer of new marine fish. I tend then, to treat for those first. It isn't always the correct course of action, but most times it is.

Flame angels don't handle ionic copper very well, but these two products are generally safe.

Jay

Back