Flame Angel Ragged Anal Fin

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel's lower anal fin is ragged. It was beautiful when I got him. I added a coral beauty and the flame to the tank at the same time, and the flame bullied the CB. I thought the ragged fin was a result of that fighting, but the CB didn't survive and has been gone for months. I would have expected the fin to have recovered, but if anything, it seems smaller. I haven't noticed any other bullying. Other fishy occupants are a Mocha clown, a Bangaii Cardinal and a purple Firefish. The flame seems healthy otherwise.

Any ideas?
d8e6906dadb23a17317011f3df3ce71c.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a freshwater dip to check for flukes? Any yawning, twitching, head shaking, etc?

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No twitching or headshaking that I've seen. He went through the usual two rounds of Prazipro and I attempt to be meticulous on QT. However, nobody's perfect. If that's the best guess I could try treating again?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be something as simple as a lingering gram positive bacterial infection. Adding vitamins to his food should help boost his immune system enough to shake it. If that doesn't do it (or you are already feeding vitamins in their food) you can soak kanaplex + focus in the food to give him an extra boost.

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be something as simple as a lingering gram positive bacterial infection. Adding vitamins to his food should help boost his immune system enough to shake it. If that doesn't do it (or you are already feeding vitamins in their food) you can soak kanaplex + focus in the food to give him an extra boost.

Thanks so much! Glad to have some things to try.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 This is what I would do

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back