Flame Angel with fairy/flasher wrasses?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one "trophy" fish in my newer 110g bowfront reef.

I have;
Midas blenny
Molly Miller blenny
Monster Goby
2 Occ. Clowns
Exquisite wrasse
2 flasher wrasse
2 Cleaner shrimp

The only "algea eater" is the Molly miller, but he prefers pellets and copopods.

I wanted one last fish to "pop" in the tank, it is between a 1spot foxface and flame angel.

I fear it could become too cramped for a foxface once the birdsnest, digi and anacrapora grow, but I am also worried about an angel attacking other tankmates.

Are Flame angels that "agressive"? My current boss is my fairy wrasse.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one "trophy" fish in my newer 110g bowfront reef.

I have;
Midas blenny
Molly Miller blenny
Monster Goby
2 Occ. Clowns
Exquisite wrasse
2 flasher wrasse
2 Cleaner shrimp

The only "algea eater" is the Molly miller, but he prefers pellets and copopods.

I wanted one last fish to "pop" in the tank, it is between a 1spot foxface and flame angel.

I fear it could become too cramped for a foxface once the birdsnest, digi and anacrapora grow, but I am also worried about an angel attacking other tankmates.

Are Flame angels that "agressive"? My current boss is my fairy wrasse.

I'd get the flame angel for more color pop (and I'm personally biased - love Flames despite their butt-like behaviors at times)

I'd also get mirror and acclimation box for use in display tank during introductions... because any fish added to tank after the Flame should go a meet and greet period with the flame before free release into the main tank. And if the release period is too short (could be in acclimation box for hours, could be weeks) then use mirror to distract Flame into thinking its another Flame so it should attack reflection more than other new fish.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned fish will create their own levels of bosses. I have 6 tangs, 4 wrasses, and 4 Chromis in my tank. I plan on adding a few more wrasses. The tangs have their boss, the wrasses have their boss, and the chromis have their boss. Then the tang is the overall boss, and the wrasse and chromis boss bicker. This will change as the tangs grow and the size starts to actually matter, the same for the wrasses. I may even add a Coral Beauty, as Biota states that theirs are reef safe.

The only Flasher wrasse that I know of that will get somewhat big is the Eightline Flasher wrasse. They can grow to 5-6 in's. I have one in my tank. Most other Flashers will stay under 4in's.

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get the flame angel for more color pop (and I'm personally biased - love Flames despite their butt-like behaviors at times)

I'd also get mirror and acclimation box for use in display tank during introductions... because any fish added to tank after the Flame should go a meet and greet period with the flame before free release into the main tank. And if the release period is too short (could be in acclimation box for hours, could be weeks) then use mirror to distract Flame into thinking its another Flame so it should attack reflection more than other new fish.
Cool, I actually used a mirror when I added the flashers 2 weeks after the fairy, the fairy still intimidates them, but never attacks or straight out rushes them.

The flame would most likely be the last fish with a BIG maybe of a toby puffer AFTER the coral are big and happy so one chomp doesn't mean instant demise... Hopfully the skunk shrimp wouldn't be on the menu because I love kratos and boi.

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned fish will create their own levels of bosses. I have 6 tangs, 4 wrasses, and 4 Chromis in my tank. I plan on adding a few more wrasses. The tangs have their boss, the wrasses have their boss, and the chromis have their boss. Then the tang is the overall boss, and the wrasse and chromis boss bicker. This will change as the tangs grow and the size starts to actually matter, the same for the wrasses. I may even add a Coral Beauty, as Biota states that theirs are reef safe.

The only Flasher wrasse that I know of that will get somewhat big is the Eightline Flasher wrasse. They can grow to 5-6 in's. I have one in my tank. Most other Flashers will stay under 4in's.
My mcoskers wrasse is always flashing and egging on the other wrasses then quickly flees when they get ticked off, the linespot gets absolutely evil looking when ticked off, LA says they max out at 3" but hes pushing 4.
I love wrasses, but I think I will stop with the trouble trio.
If I could have one more I would get a splendid pintail fairy. (Now that's a burly name)

My Midas has HIS rock and will shoot any passer-by the evil-eye, he is the king of his rock but doesn't care about others when in the water column.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mcoskers wrasse is always flashing and egging on the other wrasses then quickly flees when they get ticked off, the linespot gets absolutely evil looking when ticked off, LA says they max out at 3" but hes pushing 4.
I love wrasses, but I think I will stop with the trouble trio.
If I could have one more I would get a splendid pintail fairy. (Now that's a burly name)

My Midas has HIS rock and will shoot any passer-by the evil-eye, he is the king of his rock but doesn't care about others when in the water column.
They call it a Splendid Tail, but its actually the Crescent Tail Fairy wrasse, I just ordered one from @tsmaquatics. Fish have a bad habit of acting bad and actually not being so...LOL!!!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience flasher and fairy wrasses will easily get picked on by a territorial dwarf angel. However, if you have plenty of hiding places, there shouldn't be an issue. The issues I experienced only occurred at night, when the wrasses went to sleep in crevices that were part of Mr. Angel's territory.

So as long as you have a lot of liverock with plenty of little hidey places, you should be fine.

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience flasher and fairy wrasses will easily get picked on by a territorial dwarf angel. However, if you have plenty of hiding places, there shouldn't be an issue. The issues I experienced only occurred at night, when the wrasses went to sleep in crevices that were part of Mr. Angel's territory.

So as long as you have a lot of liverock with plenty of little hidey places, you should be fine.
I have a decent amount of rockwork, about 80-90lbs worth, but it ends halfway up the tank, however there are several arches and caves that an angel couldn't get to and plan on getting another 20lbs to prepare for brain coral.

Only other concern is this bow is only 48"long, but 24" deep and 24" wide.

I just don't want my current fish to get needlessly bullied, so If I get one, it will be young and the last fish.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flame Angels in my experience have been relatively docile for a dwarf angel (Coral Beauties are far more aggressive, mine is a terror with any new additions), and should get along fine with a flasher / fairy wrasse.

There will probably be some investigating and some light chasing for a day or two, then things will settle (also, since you're adding the flame after the wrasses, there won't be any initial territorial scuffs).

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angels in my experience have been relatively docile for a dwarf angel (Coral Beauties are far more aggressive, mine is a terror with any new additions), and should get along fine with a flasher / fairy wrasse.

There will probably be some investigating and some light chasing for a day or two, then things will settle (also, since you're adding the flame after the wrasses, there won't be any initial territorial scuffs).
Really! I've always heard flames can be nasty and beauties are more passive.

I'm getting the feeling that fish are just as unpredictable as birds.

Freshwater fish for me have had almost no character or quirks and followed their description pretty closely.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an aggressive flame angel (toward other fish that are not also flame angels). I actually have a "harem" of them in my 500G. 4 flames get along fine BUT this is NOT easy and with so many much larger and more aggressive fish in there they just keep a low profile. I have a large coral beauty in there with them as well.

As mentioned, fish temperaments can vary wildly based on their own genetic personality per se but also situationally/environmentally.

I'd be more worried about a flame angelfish nipping. While I've never had one do much damage, they can. I don't have coral that I care about enough for it to matter in my 200G reef (where I have a flame angel as well). I don't see a flame angel attacking other fish. Be advised though that they're not very hardy, particularly until established.

Best way to get a flame angel in one try is to buy off of another hobbyist -- but often they're sold because they ARE nippers. Otherwise why would you get rid of such a beautiful fish?

They're quite prone to ich/velvet/uronema/flukes. Many don't survive the first 1-4 weeks.

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy quarantined fish so I should have better luck.

I have read about them being prone to desiese and that's unfortunate, I will never own a tang for that reason.

I almost need a bossman because my Mcosker is starting to go after my Midas blenny "Homer" and it's ticking me off because he's my favorite fish and he is big enough to chomp the little wrasses butt. He's got refuge in his rock, but when food is around they get agressive.

The 4.5" Fairy was keeping them in check, but he's totally chill now.

Strangely the mirror seems to making the wrasse angrier "peaceful fish" my ash.

I'm too much of a helicopter parent I guess.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back