Flame Angelfish, should I remove into qt or wait it out?

Bleys19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to summarize, my tank had a power outage overnight that dropped the water temp to 66 degrees and trigged a Ich outbreak. So, my flame angelfish, lemon peeled angelfish, 2 clowns, orchid dottyback, yellow tailed damsel and watchman goby went into a 29 gallon qt for copper treatment and api general cure and only the flame showed sensitivity to the medications. The flame wouldn't eat the whole time but somehow made it through treatment and started to eat again after I started water changes and everything was looking good. So after waiting for the dt to fallow, I added my fish back to the dt and for some reason, my lemon peel is annoying my flame and the flame is stressed again and won't eat but will swim to my cleaner shrimp for a cleaning. So I'm not sure if I should attempt to remove my flame and give the fish some peace and relaxation or let the fish deal with the lemon peel.

Any suggestions?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

How long were the fish in copper and what dose/brand did you use?

How long did your leave your DT fallow?

It is pretty common for interspecies dynamics to change when you move fish around. To me though, it is actually more surprising that the two Centropyge angels weren't fighting from the beginning.

The angel posturing for the cleaner shrimp might be nothing, or it could being trying to rid itself of parasites.

In the end, I don't think those two angels are going to cohabitate well.

Jay

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame is in 2.0ppm copper as we speak and it doesn’t phaze her How long we’re your fish in qt and display fallow?

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to summarize, my tank had a power outage overnight that dropped the water temp to 66 degrees and trigged a Ich outbreak. So, my flame angelfish, lemon peeled angelfish, 2 clowns, orchid dottyback, yellow tailed damsel and watchman goby went into a 29 gallon qt for copper treatment and api general cure and only the flame showed sensitivity to the medications. The flame wouldn't eat the whole time but somehow made it through treatment and started to eat again after I started water changes and everything was looking good. So after waiting for the dt to fallow, I added my fish back to the dt and for some reason, my lemon peel is annoying my flame and the flame is stressed again and won't eat but will swim to my cleaner shrimp for a cleaning. So I'm not sure if I should attempt to remove my flame and give the fish some peace and relaxation or let the fish deal with the lemon peel.

Any suggestions?
You might have to. You would rather have a nice tank at the expense of one fish rather than your entire tank going crazy. It is best to separate the stressful fish because in a nano you want to make sure things don't spread. I'm new to reef2reef and I am starting up my tank for the first time in a while so inexperienced people like me need the most help so please follow me :) I hope everything works out

OP
OP
B

Bleys19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

How long were the fish in copper and what dose/brand did you use?

How long did your leave your DT fallow?

It is pretty common for interspecies dynamics to change when you move fish around. To me though, it is actually more surprising that the two Centropyge angels weren't fighting from the beginning.

The angel posturing for the cleaner shrimp might be nothing, or it could being trying to rid itself of parasites.

In the end, I don't think those two angels are going to cohabitate well.

Jay
Fallow was 37 days
Copper was cupramine and I started lowering copper at day 26 because the flame wouldn't eat. I stop testing copper levels at this time.
Oh, also, on day one of adding flame back into my dt he tried to hide with my brittle seastar and was trapped for about 30 seconds. I saved the flame and he had a mild skin infection that heal in about 3 days.
The two Centropyge angels have been together for a year and are both the same size, the flame never cared about anything and the lemon hates my orchid dottyback

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow was 37 days
Copper was cupramine and I started lowering copper at day 26 because the flame wouldn't eat. I stop testing copper levels at this time.
Oh, also, on day one of adding flame back into my dt he tried to hide with my brittle seastar and was trapped for about 30 seconds. I saved the flame and he had a mild skin infection that heal in about 3 days.
The two Centropyge angels have been together for a year and are both the same size, the flame never cared about anything and the lemon hates my orchid dottyback
I worry that the fallow period wasn't long enough. I use a minimum of 45 days, but there is a common thought here on R2R that this actually needs to be 76 days in order to be completely sure of eradicating ich, velvet and flukes....I can't refute that because longer is always going to be safer.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Bleys19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry that the fallow period wasn't long enough. I use a minimum of 45 days, but there is a common thought here on R2R that this actually needs to be 76 days in order to be completely sure of eradicating ich, velvet and flukes....I can't refute that because longer is always going to be safer.

Jay

Jay
I understand that. I did order some prazipo so I can dose the dt when that arrives. As for both angels, I don't want to remove the flame just yet because the lemon isn't doing anything but swimming and then they both cycle each other and go back to swimming, I never seen the lemon attack the flame. Once I dose prazipo and the flame still won't eat, I will net the flame at night when he sleeps and qt then.

OP
OP
B

Bleys19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update....I think the flame angelfish is blind, I've been qting the fish since 12/31 and the fish is staying on the bottom and only eating from bottom. Three nights ago, I remove my lemon and tried adding the flame to the dt and the fish couldn't navigate around the rocks or sand hills.... So the flame angel is back in a smaller 10 gallon qt and lemon peeled back in dt. So how should I set up my qt for a blind fish? Sand or no Sand? One Rock in middle and open area around?
Please give suggestions

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update....I think the flame angelfish is blind, I've been qting the fish since 12/31 and the fish is staying on the bottom and only eating from bottom. Three nights ago, I remove my lemon and tried adding the flame to the dt and the fish couldn't navigate around the rocks or sand hills.... So the flame angel is back in a smaller 10 gallon qt and lemon peeled back in dt. So how should I set up my qt for a blind fish? Sand or no Sand? One Rock in middle and open area around?
Please give suggestions
You can test for blindness by making sudden movements near the tank to see if it reacts. You can also try flipping the lights on an off and looking for a reaction. If you could post a video, i might be able to tell from its overall demeanor. True blindness is actually pretty rare, it is usually lethargy from some illness that makes it seem like the fish is blind....

Jay

OP
OP
B

Bleys19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test for blindness by making sudden movements near the tank to see if it reacts. You can also try flipping the lights on an off and looking for a reaction. If you could post a video, i might be able to tell from its overall demeanor. True blindness is actually pretty rare, it is usually lethargy from some illness that makes it seem like the fish is blind....

Jay
The fish isn't reacting to light or sudden movements near it in and out of tank.

Attachments

• 20210113_201102_205965817800251.mp4
    12.1 MB
  • 20210113_201210_206034219391894.mp4
    23.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does appear to be blind and not just moribund. It is pale, but that could be a reaction to it being blind(it thinks it is dark, so it changes color slightly like it would at night). It also has some damage to its dorsal fin, probably from the lemonpeel. The flame also looks pretty thin...
Open areas so it won’t bump into things would be best, feed it as well as you can. You could also consider treating with erythromycin just in case there is a bacterial component to this (doubtful though).
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back